Global Slump: The Economics and Politics of…

Global Slump: The Economics and Politics of Crisis and Resistance

by David McNally

Investigatingthe global financial meltdown as the first systemic crisis of the neoliberal stage of capitalism, this analysis argues thatfar from having endedthe crisis has ushered in a period of worldwide economic and political turbulence. In developing an account of the crisis as rooted in fundamental features of capitalism,this studychallenges the view that capitalism's source lies in financial deregulation, andhighlights the emergence of new patterns of world inequality and new centers of accumulation, particularly in East Asia, and the profound economic instabilities these have produced. This original account of the financialization of the world economy during this period explores the intricate connections between international financial markets and new forms of debt and dispossession. Analyzing the massive intervention of the worlds central banks to stave off another Great Depression,this study shows thatwhile averting a complete meltdown, this intervention also laid the basis for recurring crises for poor and working class people. Job loss, increased poverty and inequality, andcuts insocial programs. Takinga global view of these processes, exposing the damage inflicted on countries in the Global South, as well as the intensification of racism and attacks on migrant workers, this book also traces new patterns of social and political resistancefrom housing activism and education struggles, to mass strikes and protests in Martinique, Guadeloupe, France, and Puerto Ricoas indicators of the potential for building anticapitalist opposition to the damage that neoliberal capitalism is inflicting on the lives of millions.… (more)
    ¡Cochabamba! Water War in Bolivia by Oscar Olivera (lemontwist)
    lemontwist: If you found the Cochabamba water riots as described in Global Slump to be interesting, you will enjoy this full recounting of the incident.

English (3)  Danish (1)  All languages (4)
Lots of excessive rhetoric. The exposition of economics is absurd and the economic history going back more than a few decades is shaky. The only good thing in the book is his critique of the analysis of the crisis by other marxists. ( )
1 vote johnclaydon | Jun 21, 2012 |
I picked up this book as a counterpart to the documentary Inside Job and other depictions of the recent financial crisis and I'm glad I did.
This is a book written for political economists and as well as for the lay leader, so there are parts that are difficult to wade through, but the arguments are compelling and the connections well drawn between the history of modern capitalism and the state we now find ourselves in.

Chapter five, "Debt, Discipline, and Dispossession: Race, Class and the Global Slump" should be required reading for any social progressive. McNally reveals the ways in which morally repugnant institutions (over-incarceration of people of colour, high unemployment rates, ongoing colonialism, etc) uphold Capitalism as we know it.

The final chapter, in which McNally describes his vision for a great resistance movement, was in my opinion the weakest in the book. Unfortunately, despite his brilliant deconstruction of what the problem is, McNally has little to offer in terms of new solutions. Although his suggestions are not bad, they are all fairly standard aspects of Marxist thought, and seem inadequate to address the challenges he has laid out. This doesn't stop me from highly recommending the book, but it does lead me to suggest that if you will likely need to supplement this book with something else in order to understand what can be done to get out of this "global slump."
  monarchi | Aug 8, 2011 |
A wide picture of today's economic climate covering how the recession happened and how people are fighting back. I was glad to have just read Twenty-Three Things They Don't Tell You about Capitalism because it was like having a mini-refresher in economics before reading about the gory details of credit default swaps, etc.

The thing I both like and dislike about Global Slump is how the book is really two parts. I liked reading the minutiae of economic policy and learning how the banks, industries and insurance companies royally screwed up. But then abruptly the book changes course and describes the erosion of the commons around the world, privatization, land grabs and the resistance to all of those things. Not that it wasn't interesting, but halfway through the book I wondered if I had started reading a totally different one. ( )
  lemontwist | Jan 12, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,719,560 books! | Top bar: Always visible