The Rose Garden (2011)

by Susanna Kearsley

When Eva Ward moves to an old house on the Cornish coast, she discovers hidden pathways, mysterious voices, and ghosts of the past.
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Iudita: Same style-time travel element.

English (62)  Spanish (1)  All languages (63)
I was keen to read this novel having read "The Winter Sea" recently by the same author which I thoroughly enjoyed. However, it didn't live up to expectations. The start was good but I found the plot slowed midway and the ending was rushed and emotionally lacking.

Eva was an okay protagonist but she often acted like a teenager with a massive crush. In fact, I think I preferred Claire and Fergal to Eva and Daniel. I quite liked the two main characters but I wasn't emotionally invested in them.

Overall, "The Rose Garden" was an easy read with romance, time travel and history but it won't be a memorable one. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Aug 14, 2021 |
The plot seems simplistic and the writing was not an amazing use of language yet this book has stuck with me long after others have totally left my memory. If you like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander this contains a similar time travel adventure but different as well - you should enjoy this book. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
At loose ends after her sister's death, Eva Ward returns to Cornwall, where they had good holidays as children, to scatter Katrina's ashes, and maybe to decide what to do with herself. Should she use her marketing experience to help her cousins launch a tea room on the family estate to help with mounting expenses? Or maybe drop into the 18th century and fall in love with a smuggler with Jacobite leanings who once lived in the house? Sounds preposterous put just that way, but that's really about the size of it. A fine romance for a few lazy afternoons and late nights...along the fine old lines of Mary Stewart, Victoria Holt, Winston Graham, perhaps Daphne DuMaurier on a slightly off day. It kept me reading and offered a surprise or two. And, after all...Cornwall...cliffs...smugglers' caves...men in linen shirts or form-fitting T's, depending on the century. (Decidedly NOT a bodice-ripper, though, in case you thought I was hinting at that.) Well-done dialogue and believable characters to care about carried me over some "how's THAT happen?" moments. If you like this kind of thing, it's the kind of thing you'll like. ( )
  laytonwoman3rd | Dec 23, 2020 |
After her sister dies, Eva stays with family friends in Cornwall, where she and Katrina spent summers years ago.

I wasn’t expecting time-travel. I like time-travel stories, and I like how Kearsley handles it here. Eva’s choices make sense, given her situation, and the story emphasises that, even though she cannot control when she travels in time, there are still many choices she can actively make.

So Eva becomes fascinated with 1715, because of the people she meets there and the relationships they develop... but as a reader, I wanted to spend more time in the present-day Trelowarth, with its rose gardens and new tea room.

“Was [your sister] not happy elsewhere?”
“Yes, of course she was. Just not in the same way. Trelowarth was -- it is -- a very special place.”
“Trelowarth,” he countered, “is rooms gathered under a roof, nothing more.” He refilled his cup and my own. “I would argue ‘tis never the place, but the people one shares it with who are the cause of our happiest memories. That is why we find that having lived them once, we can never recapture them.”
  Herenya | Nov 15, 2020 |
3.5/5 ( )
  jocelynelise_ | Aug 10, 2020 |

Kearsley, Susannaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barber, NicolaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When Eva's film star sister Katrina dies, she leaves California and returns to Trelowarth, Cornwall, where they spent their childhood summers, to scatter Katrina's ashes and thus return her to the place where she belongs.
But in doing so Eva must confront ghosts from her own past, as well as those from a time long before her own. For the house where she so often stayed as a child is home not only to her old friends the Hallets, but also to the people who had lived there in the eighteenth century. Eva finds herself able to see and talk to these people, and she falls for Daniel Butler, a man who lived and died long before she herself was born.
Eva begins to question her place in the present, and in laying her sister to rest, comes to realise that she too must decide where she really belongs, choosing between the life she knows and the past she feels so drawn towards.

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,314,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible