A Turn in the Road (2011)

by Debbie Macomber

Series: Blossom Street (8)

Bethanne Hamlin takes a road trip with her daughter, Annie, and her former mother-in-law, Ruth. They're driving to Florida for Ruth's 50th high school reunion. A long-time widow, Ruth would like very much to reconnect with Royce, the love of her youth. Bethanne's ex-husband, Grant, would like to reconcile, so she also has a major life decision to consider. And Annie is out to prove to her onetime boyfriend that she can live a brilliant life without him. But even the best-laid plans can take an unexpected turn -- or even be completely derailed.… (more)

Didn't enjoy this book as much as others in the series. I felt the characters weren't as likable. ( )
  soosthemoose | Sep 22, 2020 |
The last few Blossom Street series have been hit or miss for me. I really liked her last one in the series, "Starting Now" though there was a big plot that I disliked intensely in that novel.

With her latest, "Blossom Street Brides" Ms. Macomber returns to Blossom Street to catch up with fan favorites such as Lydia from "The Shop on Blossom Street" and Bethanne who is still running her party planning business and a new character, Lauren who works at a jewelry store on Blossom Street.

I really did love "A Good Yarn" where we are first introduced to Bethanne and her family where we follow up with them in "A Turn in the Road" I can honestly say that I did not like that novel at all. I though that Bethanne who went from this strong independent woman in "A Good Yarn" turned into a wishy washy indecisive woman. I also ended up disliking her daughter Annie and her former mother in law.

Now to turn to this novel. First I have to say that Ms. Macomber is writing the characters as three dimensional characters again which makes me happy. She actually has plots going on with the three women and we have peeks at former characters from the prior Blossom Street novels. We have Bethanne still adjusting to her 15 month marriage to her husband Max. Lydia still trying to run her store 'A Good Yarn', be there for her family, and deal with her mother's ongoing problems with alzheimer's disease. Lauren is starting to realize that her two year relationship is going nowhere and that if she wants to be married with children she is going to have to take matters into her own hands.

My main reason for giving this four stars is that with that said I honestly didn't understand besides the one character what this had to do with Blossom Street Brides (notice the plural). It is pretty much stretching it to the story having two brides since one of the brides was a side character in another side character's story that readers don't lay eyes on until the epilogue.

I also thought that Ms. Macomber would have been better served by just focusing on Lauren and Bethanne's stories in this one. Those two characters plots were the strongest for me and I found myself skimming over Lydia's. Also the reveal of who is leaving the baskets all over town I figured out after the first two chapters.

I would recommend to fans of Debbie Macomber! ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I loved Max, hated grant and disliked some of the whining that went on or the large focus on how Grant had wronged her. ( )
  audraelizabeth | Jun 30, 2020 |
This was a quick read. I can always count on Debbie Macomber to provide a feel-good read with which to curl up. It was predictable in places. I do love a happy ending. ( )
  Martha662 | Jun 27, 2020 |
This is a book about relationships. Should you give everyone a second chance? Is forgiveness the same as forgetting? Can you ever trust a cheating spouse/boyfriend? Can three generations of woman go on a roadtrip together and forge stronger relations or will they hate one another when it is all done?

Grant divorced Bethanie six years ago and seriously strained relationships with his two chidren, Annie and Andrew. Now that his second marriage is done, he realizes what he gave up and wants his family back the way it was, including Bethanie Annie, their daughter and Ruth, Grant's mother, wants Bethanie to take him back, give him a chance, reconcile and become a family again. Bethanie has become a strong, independent woman. She has her own business that is doing very well. She is looking at franchising but is also giving up much of the day to day responsibility to a manager and she and Annie are doing the creative end. She is not involved with anyone, but does not know if she really wants to get back together with Grant. Andrew is getting married and trying to develop a relationship with his father. He was very hurt by his abandonment and does not think that his mother and father should get back together again. He supports his mother and will go along with whatever she decides. Annie really wants her mother and father to get back together. She inserts herself into their lives by phoning them and putting the other on the phone. She tries to set them up. When her boyfriend, who she thinks is going to propose, tells her he is going to Europe for a year with a friend and his girlfriend, she feels betrayed by him. Ruth, Grant's mother and Bethanie's mother-in-law is a widow who wants the chance to apologize to her first love. The only problem is that she lives in Oregon and he lives in Florida. When her class has their 50th reunion, Ruth wants to go and is planning on driving herself there. This sets the stage for the road trip.

Ruth has planned out everything for her trip but when Bethanie, then Annie tell her they want to accompany her, plans change. Along the way they travel to the town where Grant was born and have an adventure at a local diner. After that they have car trouble and are saved by some bikers. When the bikers go skinny dipping and Ruth steals their clothes, I was hysterical. Relationships develop between each of the ladies and some of the male characters they encounter. They have fun, learn a lot about themselves and each other and make some serious decisions.

Each character has flaws, but in spite of them, they make wise decisions, eventually, and support one another in the decisions they make. I enjoyed this story even though there were times that I wanted to strangle several of the characters throughout. A nice summer read. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
"I think dad wants to get back together."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,317,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible