The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life…

The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations (edition 2011)

by Paul Carr

Travel. Nonfiction. HTML:

Bored, broke and struggling to survive in one of the most expensive cities on earth, Paul Carr comes to the surprising realization that it would actually be cheaper to live in a hotel in Manhattan than in his one-bedroom London apartment. He sells his possessions, abandons his old life and embarks on a life living entirely without commitments.

.… (more)
Member:deftnerd
Title:The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations
Authors:Paul Carr
Info:Orion (2011), Kindle Edition, 308 pages

Work Information

The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations by Paul Carr

I downloaded this a while ago onto my Kindle and completely forgot it was on there. I think I initially bought it because of the fact Las Vegas form part of the tale. Sadly, Vegas doesn't feature as prominently in the book as I had led to be believed. Being in a slight reading slump I decided to check out the start of this book and see what it was like.

The book starts with Paul Carr deciding that living in London is too expensive and that he can live in hotels around the world cheaper. It sounds like a ludicrous plan but the economics sounded solid and Carr knows the hotel world quite well, so could it work?

Ultimately the book turns into a collection of tales of drunken adventure on the road in America and a little of Europe. I should warn that drinking features on pretty much every page. At first this is entertaining, then eventually it gets a little tiresome. Despite this the book is fairly well written and I managed to read through it very quickly.

Two parts of the books really shine though. Carr pretty much admits that all books of this nature which encourage people to do what the author has done fit in with a very very small selection of the population. For example, being a writer allowed Carr to make a living on the road, something he says many people can't do. The second part which really stands out is where he comes to the realisation that he an alcoholic and needs help. This part is really heart felt and feels alien compared to the drunken bravado of the rest of the book.

This book was entertaining and would probably appeal to fans the Ben Mezrich. ( )
  Brian. | Jun 19, 2021 |

Travel. Nonfiction. HTML:

Paul Carr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,090,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible