A Battle from the Start: The Life of Nathan Bedford Forrest

by Brian Steel Wills

This is the first book I ever read specifically about NB Forrest. I thought it was well balanced, and clearly described his personal strengths and weaknesses. The book had a rather folksy flavor to it, and I would have liked to see more more perspective in relation to the entire war. There are a number of maps included, but again they are rather general and do not contain the amount of detail I prefer. Even so, maps are good.
The book decribes the life of Forrest from childhood to death, and attempts to explain why he acted as he did. Much is attributed to the Southern concept of honor. I believe the author glossed over the KKK period of Forrest's life, and basically gives it a benign? flavor. Overall it was an excellent read. ( )
  delta351 | Aug 11, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,806,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible