Attachments

by Rainbow Rowell

2,3462054,998 (3.97)142
Beth and Jennifer know their company monitors their office e-mail, but they still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers at the newspaper and baring their personal lives like an open book. When Lincoln applied to be an Internet security officer, he hardly imagined he'd be sifting through other people's inboxes like some sort of electronic Peeping Tom. Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help but be entertained and captivated by their stories. But by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. After a series of close encounters and missed connections, Lincoln decides it's time to muster the courage to follow his heart, even if he can't see exactly where it's leading him. This story is about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself, even it is someone you have never met.… (more)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: Similar humor and writing. In both stories, 2 female friends exchange witty, funny emails.
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (foggidawn)
    Mister Romance by Leisa Rayven (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Slow burn, good writing
    Jemima J by Jane Green (StefanieGeeks)
    StefanieGeeks: cyber romance and falling in love over email, witty women.
    Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (Anonymous user)

English (200)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (203)
Very delight. Very short read. I missed it when I was done. ( )
  mayalekach | Sep 25, 2021 |
4.5! So adorable! I'd admit it was pretty weird reading how Lincoln fell in love before first sight but the ending was perfect. ( )
  violetbaleine | Sep 22, 2021 |
I can't believe that a person named Rainbow is now one of my favorite authors, but she is. Attachments is so smart, funny, sweet, and engaging (I could go on . . . ), that I tore through it in record time. It was like the best romantic comedy you can think of, and then some. Beth and Jennifer's jobs working at a newspaper added a layer of laughs to the story for me, since that world is very familiar to me from my husband's job, and it was obvious that Rowell knows it well. But you don't need to know newspapers to enjoy getting in on Beth and Jennifer's friendship any more than you need to know how to play Dungeons & Dragons to root for Lincoln to find love. I tend to reserve 5 stars for books I love whose authors also knock me over with their use of language, and this seems just slightly too light for that, but it was a really great read! ( )
  CaitlinMcC | Jul 11, 2021 |
adult fiction/chick lit. Romantic comedy involving Beth, a newspaper movie critic, and Lincoln, the guy whose job it is to read people's emails (to enforce the company Internet policy). Recommended to me by another librarian, now I can recommend it to you as an easy light summer read. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
While reading I just kept asking, "Will they ever met, for real?" And hoping the answer was yes! Attachments is sweet and funny, a great read. ( )
  mbellucci | Apr 10, 2021 |
For Kai, who's better than fiction
From: Jennifer Scribner-Snyder
To: Beth Fremont
Sent: Wed, 08/18/1999 9:06AM
Subject: Where are you?

Would it kill you to get here before noon?

A strikingly clever and deeply moving story about falling in love with the person who makes you feel like the best version of yourself. Even if it's someone you've never met.

Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder, coworkers at The Courier, know the newspaper monitors their office e-mail. But they still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers, and baring their personal lives like an open book. Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family. And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill still can't believe that it's his job to monitor other people's e-mail. When he applied to be an Internet security officer, he pictured himself protecting the newspaper from dangerous hackers — not sending out memos every time somebody in Accounting forwarded an off-color joke to the person in the next cubicle.

Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer. He can't help being entertained — and captivated — by their stories. But, by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late for him to ever introduce himself. What would he say to her? "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you?"

With snapping dialogue and irresistible charm, Rainbow Rowell transforms an ordinary IT guy into a lovable and endearing romantic hero and proves that falling in love never happens the way you plan it. Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a fresh and energetic debut that marks the arrival of an exciting new voice in fiction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,319,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible