Touch by Alexi Zentner

Touch (2011)

by Alexi Zentner

English (39)  Danish (1)  All languages (40)
I won this advance copy through Goodreads.com ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Soooo good! Reminds me of Three Day Road and the first third of John Irvings latest....cannot believe this is a first novel! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
I loved the blending of myth, family history, and town history. It made me think of "100 Years of Solitude" which I keep meaning to finish. I loved how it felt so earthy and magical. Very fun and whimsical read! I highly recommend it but read it during the winter. I promise it will be perfect if you have a fire, some wine, some snow, and this book. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
Giller prize long list - choice for possible book review, crafted well and equally amusing and disturbing - great technique ( )
  frahealee | Dec 4, 2017 |
I won this book in a giveaway. A well written story that almost felt like it was being told over a campfire. Is it true is it not... kept me guessing and occasionally looking over my shoulder. Good read! ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Alexi Zentner's debut novel is poised to be one of those books that gets people talking. A version of the opening chapter was featured in the 2008 edition of The O. Henry Prize Stories and received a special mention in the 2008 Pushcart Prize anthology. Add to this the number of territories it has already sold in - including the U.S., the U.K., Italy, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Israel, and Korea - and you get the feeling this book might have real legs....Indeed, Touch is a remarkable book. Its setting and characters are infused with magic.......Amid the magic is horror: murder and other violent deaths, cannibalism, and monsters who lure victims into the icy river to drown. The story is slippery and complex, but told with seemingly effortless ease. Touch is indeed a gem of a book.

Stephen’s recasting of family lore is compelling: there isn’t a weak sentence in the book. Like all great writers, Zentner has created a believable and evocative world. The only minor quibble is the title.

“Touch” is a lovely debut, at once dreamy and riveting, like a heavy snowfall watched from a vantage point safe indoors, beside a blazing fire.

This is fantasy for grown-ups some may find frustrating. More favourably, Touch might be seen as dealing with how we understand our life stories and, when the time comes, how we translate these for our own children. What we remember, misremember and mythologise. How nature tends towards the symbolic. As Zentner’s narrator tells us: “There is something about clear nights in the winter, the perfection of snow and ice in the light from the stars and the moon that always reminds me of the existence of God.”

For my wife, Laurie,
the reason why that everything I write is really about love,
and for my daughters, Zoey and Sabine
The men floated the logs early, in September, a chain of headless trees jamming the river as far as I and the other children could see.

In Sawgamet, a north woods boomtown gone bust, the cold of winter breaks the glass of the schoolhouse thermometer, and the dangers of working in the cuts are overshadowed by the mysteries and magic lurking in the woods. Stephen, a pastor, is at home on the eve of his mother's funeral, thirty years after the mythic summer his grandfather returned to the town in search of his beloved but long-dead wife. And like his grandfather, Stephen is forced to confront the losses of his past.

Touch introduces you to a world where monsters and witches oppose singing dogs and golden caribou, where the living and the dead part and meet again in the crippling beauty of winter and the surreal haze of summer.

"A sublime haunting, a ripping yarn, and a killer debut."—J. Robert Lennon

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:29 -0400)

Returning home on the eve of his mother's death, an Anglican priest is haunted by memories of his far northern Canada hometown and its intertwined history with his family.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alexi Zentner's book Touch was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,147,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible