A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

A Monster Calls (edition 2016)

by Patrick Ness (Author)

Thirteen-year-old Conor awakens one night to find a monster outside his bedroom window, but not the one from the recurring nightmare that began when his mother became ill--an ancient, wild creature that wants him to face truth and loss.
Member:HSLT28
Title:A Monster Calls
Authors:Patrick Ness (Author)
Info:Walker Books Ltd (2016), 240 pages

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (kaledrina)
    Skellig by David Almond (Ciruelo)
    Ciruelo: Each book features a young adult facing a crisis and helped through this time by a supernatural being.
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (kaledrina)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (faither)
    The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause (kaledrina)
    I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly (nsblumenfeld)
    nsblumenfeld: One's a novel, the other a comic, but both are excellent and devastating stories of grief.
    DODO by Felipe Nunes (elenchus)
    elenchus: Ness's A Monster Calls and Nunes's Dodo share a broadly similar premise, and a serious consideration of the world as seen by hurt children. Dodo is perhaps suitable for younger readers, but both books are not cartoon-y nor simplistic. The aesthetics styles are distinct, too, though the use of dreamscapes and analogues are similar.… (more)
    A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens (keremix)
    keremix: I don't wanna give spoilers, but for me it was hard to miss the things these two books have in common.
    Jellaby by Kean Soo (elenchus)
    elenchus: A Monster Calls and Jellaby share a similar premise, as well as thematic concerns with isolation and childhood depression. They're each illustrated, but the words are as important as the images (and vice versa), and though they treat of sobering concerns, are ultimately good-hearted and optimistic.… (more)
    Milo: Sticky Notes and Brain Freeze by Alan Silberberg (fountainoverflows)

English (356)  Spanish (4)  Catalan (3)  Italian (2)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (368)
Wow! I really don't have many words but lots of tears. The writing and illustrations are absolutely beautiful and yet the story is so incredibly heartbreaking. ( )
  vickimarie2002 | Feb 19, 2020 |
A real tear jerker ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
Accepting a bad fate, being honest and facing your own truths are but two of the themes presented in this emotionally honest book of a young man facing down his own personal demons. ( )
  dugmel | Dec 29, 2019 |
Sometimes you read a book that brings out every emotion you have in you, including some you weren’t aware you even had. This was one of those books. It’s a rare blend of laughter, anger, tears, and pure anguish that leaves you with the type of book hangover that’s pure bliss. I honestly don’t think I’ve read a book that deals with grief in such an honest way quite as well as A Monster Calls. This is truly an outstanding book. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Sometimes terrible things happen.

Sometimes miracles happen.

Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.

Sometimes they're both necessary, and sometimes they're one and the same.

Stories are the wildest things of all
Amazing and heart wrenching, this book is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had. It was not what I was expecting. This book itself was a miracle; it simply appeared on my bookshelf one day—I didn't get this book, but there it was, on my shelf, staring at me as I slept; not there one day, but there the next. I'm still not sure how it happened. You know that phenomenon where once you notice something, it suddenly becomes ubiquitous, as if it is haunting you? As if it hadn't existed before but now exists everywhere? My sister mentioned this book to me, said that she read it with some friends and that it was amazing, and then there it was, waiting for me, as if placed there by some unseen chaotic neutral entity, meant to tell me a story of complex humanity.

You do not write your life with words, the monster said. You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do.
This book broke me and restored me. I haven't cried this much over a book in a long time. It is poignant and profound. I needed this. I still need this. This book contains in 205 pages more soul and meaning than many books accomplish in 600 pages, and half of it is pictures (which are phenomenal, by the way; props to Jim Kay for tearing my soul out with ink). I will re-read this until I die, probably, and can't recommend it enough. If you're human, or even a monster as they're often the same, this is the book for you.

If you speak the truth, the monster whispered in his ear, you will be able to face whatever comes. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Dec 9, 2019 |
"... it’s powerful medicine: a story that lodges in your bones and stays there." “A Monster Calls” is a gift from a generous story­teller and a potent piece of art.
added by RBeffa | editNew York Times, Jessica Bruder (Oct 14, 2011)

The power of this beautiful and achingly sad story for readers over the age of 12 derives not only from Mr. Ness's capacity to write heart-stopping prose but also from Jim Kay's stunning black-ink illustrations. There are images in these pages so wild and ragged that they feel dragged by their roots from the deepest realms of myth.

It's also an extraordinarily beautiful book. Kay's menacing, energetic illustrations and the way they interact with the text, together with the lavish production values, make it a joy just to hold in your hand. If I have one quibble, it is with a line in the introduction where Ness says the point of a story is to "make trouble". It seems to me he has done the opposite here. He's produced something deeply comforting and glowing with – to use a Siobhan Dowd word – solace. The point of art and love is to try to shortchange that grim tax collector, death. Ness, Dowd, Kay and Walker have rifled death's pockets and pulled out a treasure. Death, it seems, is no disqualification.

Ness, Patrickprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kay, JamesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kempe, Ylvasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krebs, BrunoTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szabó, T. Annasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You're only young once, they say, but doesn't it go on for a long time? More years than you can bear.
Hilary Mantel, An Experiment in Love
For Siobhan (Dowd)
The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.
I never got to meet Siobhan Dowd. (Author's Note)

The monster tells tales
that don't behave and Conor
accepts a hard truth.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,517,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible