Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin…

Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles) (edition 2011)

by Kevin Hearne (Author)

Atticus O'Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn't care much for witches. Still, he's about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they're badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II. With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor's rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked up the wrong Druid to hex.--From back cover.… (more)
Member:Daedalcipher
Title:Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Authors:Kevin Hearne (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2011), 320 pages

Hexed by Kevin Hearne

English (113)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (117)
Two misfires but still worth the read. ( )
  frfeni | Jan 31, 2021 |
A group of evil women that cast spells and a group of evil women that eat people descend upon the town. A lone (male) druid orders his subordinate female apprentice to be his alibi while he and some other men kill the evil women. He does get the help of other women, but they are psychotic and/or violent and/or thieves and/or utterly untrustworthy.

The Maenad sections seemed to detract from the pace of the book, but without them the book would be 8 chapters long. The cultural references were toned down a bit, thank God. I have to admit I laughed my ass off when he talked about katana-wielding grognards. However, Atticus does absolutely dumb or mean-spirited things all the time, for no reason, and often to his detriment. While I appreciate a desire to give the protagonist flaws, it just isn't believable that a being that is 2100 years old can make these instant, insightful observations and clever plans....and then do something utterly idiotic out of nowhere, because it is needed for the plot.

kaitlynn_g | Dec 13, 2020 |
Good silly fun. I enjoy the world that the author has created and will be back to see what happens next. These books are good for what they are. They are great quick reads. A good palette cleanser after nonfiction or more involved reading. ( )
  jerame2999 | Nov 14, 2020 |
Another Gripping Adventure With This Modern Day Druid.

I am becoming a big fan of Kevin Hearne's stories. I love his writing style: finding it intelligent, well researched but easy to read. His stories are full of threads but never leave me feeling confused and keep me hooked.There was nothing about this book that I didn't love!!

I love the characters in this series because they are complex beings created with their own tales and histories, making them all feel so real and believable: I am looking forward to getting to know them all over the course of this series. Oberon, Atticus' faithful Irish Wolfhound is the BEST, the scenes he's in just light up my heart.

I think that the story unfolded at a good pace, never giving us any more information than Atticus had, which meant that we journeyed with him, never really knowing when or where the next attack would strike. I loved the action-packed pace of this book, spending most of my time on the edge of my seat. ;-)

Although this is the second book in the Iron Druid Chronicles, Kevin Hearne does a good job of weaving in any pertinent information for new readers (or us rather forgetful older readers) into this story without any detrimental effects PLUS there is no cliffhanger at the end (woop!woop!) so it could be read as a standalone title, however, I have become emotionally invested and I can't wait to see what trials and adventures Atticus O'Sullivan and Oberon have to face next! ( )
  -Flora- | Nov 8, 2020 |
Perfect summer read. Not quite as much fun as book one, but still a good time. Same campiness you would find in a Buffy or such, only with a druid and his baggage.

Oberon might be my spirit animal. ( )
  kodermike | Jul 31, 2020 |

Kevin Hearneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniels, LukeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my father, who never saw these books in print, but at least left us knowing his son had achieved his dream
Turns out that when you kill a god, people want to talk to you.

Atticus O’Sullivan, last of the Druids, doesn’t care much for witches. Still, he’s about to make nice with the local coven by signing a mutually beneficial nonaggression treaty—when suddenly the witch population in modern-day Tempe, Arizona, quadruples overnight. And the new girls are not just bad, they’re badasses with a dark history on the German side of World War II.

With a fallen angel feasting on local high school students, a horde of Bacchants blowing in from Vegas with their special brand of deadly decadence, and a dangerously sexy Celtic goddess of fire vying for his attention, Atticus is having trouble scheduling the witch hunt. But aided by his magical sword, his neighbor’s rocket-propelled grenade launcher, and his vampire attorney, Atticus is ready to sweep the town and show the witchy women they picked the wrong Druid to hex.

Kevin Hearne is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,412,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible