Sirensong: A Faeriewalker Novel by Jenna…

Sirensong: A Faeriewalker Novel

by Jenna Black

2021689,687 (3.72)3
Invited to Faerie to be officially presented at the Seelie Court, Dana is soon implicated in an assassination attempt against Titania's granddaughter, and is suddenly a fugitive, forced to leave her father behind as she and her friends flee for their lives. Will she be able to prove her innocence before the forces of the Seelie Court -- or, worse, the Erlking -- catch up with her? And will she save her father before he pays the ultimate price in her stead?… (more)

I enjoyed this final book in the Faeriewalker series. Dana has been invited to faerie to be presented to Queen Titania of the Seelie court by her son Prince Henry. Well, if "invited" is a code for come on your own or come in chains. She is not eager because both queen of faerie would prefer that she was dead because of her unusual faeriewalker powers.

She travels in Prince Henry's caravan with her father, bodyguard Finn, and friends Ethan, Kimber and Keane. That creates enough tension all on its own because Ethan and Keane don't get along - at all. Add that tension to the tension that comes from traveling in faerie and you have a situation that is ready to explode.

Dana is separated from the rest of the group when the caravan is attacked by bogles. She is rescued by the Erlking but not before she has to use her special magical gift to kill a bunch of the bogles who nearly catch up with her. She didn't know that the Erlking and his Wild Hunt were following the group. Since she made him a promise that she doesn't want to keep to free Ethan from his Wild Hunt, he isn't exactly the person she wants most to see.

Arriving at Titania's court puts the group in deeper danger. A banquet hosted by a faerie princess is disrupted by a bomb that could only have been brought to faerie by a faeriewalker, but Dana didn't do it. Blamed, and on the run with her friends, Dana has to find a way back to Avalon and the human world in order to be safe.

The problem is that Dana isn't willing to abandon anyone she cares for and her father and Finn are still at Titania's palace. When her friends are captured, she uses the Erlking's gift of a broach which makes her invisible to return to the palace to rescue them and find out who really is behind all of the plots to kill her.

Besides this action, Dana is also dealing with an alcoholic mother who doesn't think she has a drinking problem. She originally ran to her father in Avalon to get away from the responsibility of caring for her mother. She loves her mother but hates that she has no control over her alcoholism. Dana's personality makes her want to take care of those she loves but she can't take care of her mother. This failure makes her angry. I liked the way this problem was realistically resolved.

In fact, I like the way all of the various problems that Dana faced were resolved in this book. It made a nice conclusion to the series. ( )
  kmartin802 | Aug 4, 2018 |
I didn't realize this was the third book in the series when I first picked up this book. In hindsight, I probably should read them in order but whatever.

To me, this book and the characters seemed so....shallow. Like there is no depth to the characters what so ever. So typical to YA novels, a teenage girl has these secret abilities/powers, there's the cute/handsome/mysterious/nice/brooding guys who like her, the tag along BFF, and tendency to get into all sorts of trouble. You have to know where all this is going right?

So anyways Dana throws tantrums in typical teenage fashion. But hey I don't blame her, since people seem to either want to kill her or kidnap her, I would be pissed off too. Even though she has to keep her abilities secret (like duh! it is a really dangerous ability), the least she could do is practice and hone in on it, so that if she ever needs to use it (which is often enough in this book), she could do it!

I don't quite understand the whole relationship with Ethan. To be honest, he doesn't seem that great of a guy. He's so insecure, total liar and acts like every other hormonal teenager out there (like people please keep this book PG!). So he and Dana are supposedly a couple? Ummmm the brief moments they have together, it doesn't seem like madly in love or I cannot live without you type of thing.

Getting the see faerie world and all the neat magical stuff was pretty cool. Plot wise....not so much. You had to have expected that things would turn out the way it did. Like gets invitation to meet with the Queen of Seelie Court (who may or may not want to kill you), gets into dangerous situations along the way, gets framed for something you as the only half magical being would be able to do, escape, and only to come rushing back with a rash plan in hopes that it would work before your loved ones are killed. Check , check and check. OK, what else is new?

Oh yes the whole sexy Erlking thing.... so from what I understand, they made an agreement. I'm not entirely sure, but it seems Dana is quite interested in the Erlking, way more than Ethan, even though she claims the kiss meant nothing. Right.... whatever you say! The Erlking is an interesting person, not quite an ally but not quite an enemy. Personally, I want to know more about him and his past and why he plays games the way he does.

The ending was very open ended. Nothing was quite resolved. Like we aren't quite sure if Dana and Ethan will have a happily ever after, or if Dana should have driven a better bargain for her loved ones especially that poor Elizabeth or if the Queen of Unseelie Court will come after Dana now that her special ability is widely known.

Overall, it was a quick read and fairly typical YA book filled with not much substance. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
Jenna Black, Remedial Magic B004FPYZLQ, Personally, I think it is silly to publish this short tidbit all by itself. Why not place the trilogy in 3 separate sections of one book? It would take a little bit longer to read leaving the reader “satisfied”. It is a waste of time to download 3 tiny “books” . The author is a good writer. She really should consider publishing small series together. I believe in the long run, the reviews would go UP as the reader may feel an entire book was read instead of a teaser. ASIN:1490928898 Raining Angels ( )
  ReneeRobinson | May 4, 2014 |
I am not a huge fan of YA books, but really enjoyed this series. It is a quick read and the story is fast laced. Dana makes mistakes and learns some hard lessons. I thisk she is a very strong character. I am also a fan of the Erlking. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
3.5 stars

This book was great, and would have been 4.5 stars if the ending had been different... The trip into faerie was exciting, filled with scary creatures, Dana's doubt about who she could trust as well as some really great fighting scenes.

Dana was getting smarter in her dealings with the fae as well, so when she had to make some bargains, she really thought about what it would mean to her - for the rest of her life - before she agreed or disagreed to anything.

The final resolution was just too easy! Both what happened with the Erkling, and what happened after everything was over. It felt a little bit like a cop-out! Too bad, because I really, really enjoyed this series.

I am sure other people will simply be happy there was a happy ending, though, and I am too, however, I wish it hadn't been so 'easy' in the end. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
To Sibyl, who helped me learn some of the lessons
Dana had to learn in this book, but without any death or
dismemberment.
I hate politics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,904,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible