Neverwinter (2011)

by R. A. Salvatore

With the last of his trusted companions having fallen, Drizzt is alone--and free--for the first time in almost a hundred years. Guilt mingles with relief, leaving Drizzt uniquely vulnerable to the persuasions of his newest companion--Dahlia, a darkly alluring elf and the only other member of their party to survive the cataclysm at Mount Hotenow. But traveling with Dahlia is challenging in more ways than one. As the two companions seek revenge on the one responsible for leveling Neverwinter--and nearly Luskan as well--Drizzt finds his usual moral certainty swept away by her unconventional views. Forced to see the dark deeds that the common man may be driven to by circumstance, Drizzt begins to find himself on the wrong side of the law in an effort to protect those the law has failed. Making new enemies, as his old enemies acquire deadly allies, Drizzt and Dahlia quickly find themselves embroiled in battle--a state he's coming to enjoy a little too much.… (more)

It is hard for me as a long time fan of this series to just give this book 2 stars. Unfortunately i just didn't enjoy this one. None of the new characters (all Villains) make me want read more about them. I hope this is just a case of it really being the second part of a bigger arc that will be tied up in the next volume. ( )
  GSB68 | May 19, 2015 |
I am a Salavatore fan and, as the others in the various Drizzt series, I really enjoyed this book. I was crushed when, in the preceding books, all of Drizzt's original friends died. It took me a while to get over Bruenor's death in Gauntlgrym and I actually stopped reading Salvatore for a little while.

This book was great and I have even become attached to Drizzt's new "partner" Dahlia. The only thing I don't like is Salvatore's internal monologue inside Drizzt's head. Each book they seem to be more and more heavy and I have gotten to the point where I only skim them rapidly. Instead of adding anything to the Drizzt's character, they seem more like a way for Salvatore to do some sort of self-analysis at getting older...yup, it happens to all of us around middle-age but I would prefer if he kept it out of the books.

Still, the book gets a solid four stars from me. ( )
  TimmyP | Oct 8, 2013 |
It’s best if you read Gauntlgrym before diving into this one. Lots of events are referenced to the previous book and the story is continuous.

Again, this book does not disappoint the typical Drizzt fan. I really like how his character is developing so far. There are moments throughout the book where I too, feel the loss of his previous closest friends but yet these new experiences Dahlia is introducing to him is also welcoming.

I really am liking Dahlia as a character. In a sense, it’s nice to read how both her and Drizzt are bringing out these changes within each other as they’re both different in personality and very different on their views and opinions. I also have to admit I also like the romantic tension between them, it was inevitable and although she’s definitely not as fun loving as Cattie-Brie, but there’s something very likable in Dahlia. The way she fights, her sly sneaky ways, and who can not comment about her sultry vampy qualities as well?

The plot in this book was well done. There’s a lot of intrigue and backroom planning and plotting. I really enjoyed the story with Barrabus the Gray. I wasn’t expecting that little twist but it was really fun to read! The other story arc, with Sylora Salm was also really good and the ending as usual with R A Salvatore, is fantastic and makes you want to read the next book in the series.

The action scenes in this book is the same, but as always, it’s wonderful to read and can be easily pictured. Salvatore’s writing doesn’t change but his characters do - and that’s a great thing. I loved the ending it does leave room for more questions but now it seems Drizzt will be on another adventure to help an ‘old friend’ out.

Definitely recommended for Drizzt fans. The plot in this series just keeps getting better and better. Everything is changing, but I think it’s for the better in this series. Let’s hope it never stops! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Apr 24, 2012 |
As I am a serious fan of this series of books, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. As the second in a trilogy of books, it sets up for the climactic third book very well, and I am eagerly anticipating it! With plenty of action and intrigue that Drizzt fans have become used to over the years, Neverwinter also serves to flesh out some of the newer characters and villains in the growing saga. Seeing enemy character arcs that span numerous books reminded me of Artemis Entreri and why he was such a good villain for the series.

Mr. Salvatore did a great job on this one, and I can't wait for the conclusion of the trilogy! ( )
  guenhwyvhar | Dec 29, 2011 |

R. A. Salvatoreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lockwood, ToddCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,972,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible