Bearing an Hourglass (Panther Books) by…

Bearing an Hourglass (Panther Books) (edition 1985)

by Piers Anthony

Norton, grief-stricken over the death of his child and the suicide of his beloved, volunteers to become the Incarnation of Time and finds himself enmeshed in Satan's foul plot to destroy all that is good.
Member:dennymeta
Title:Bearing an Hourglass (Panther Books)
Authors:Piers Anthony
Info:Grafton (1985), Paperback, 384 pages

Bearing an Hourglass by Piers Anthony

Recently added byprivate library, PhilOnTheHill, TBrugnera, kmusser, jimpike69

English (34)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (36)
This isn't my favorite in the series, it definitely suffers from second in a series syndrome. However, it's a definite must to read because if you skip it you'll miss seeing how the incarnations and their stories are intertwined. There are multiple things in the series you'll miss out on if you don't read this one. Which is why even though it's not a favorite I still give it a 3-star rating. Just remember when these were written there weren't many strong women in the Fantasy genre. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Aug 6, 2018 |
Piers Anthony is probably one of the Best Science Fiction/Fantasy authors of the 20th and 21st century. In this series I found On a White Horse and For Love of Evil (this is my second go around this series, except for book 8, Under a Velvet Cloak, which is kinda why I am re-reading the series, to bone up before reading that) are better stories, this is yet another Anthony feat. It does go into Norton's side trips a lot, but they also are explorations on how he learns to use his office. Kind of made me a bit sad, as Chronos is the one incarnation that seems to have a set term in office as well as one that has no mortal retirement, and his love life is quite curtailed. But I think Anthony first thought of a post incarnation life in later books. To understand Anthony's creations, you have to realize how he writes. As he writes one book, he annotates thoughts on other potential books in the sidelines. So, all future books (including from differing series) grow as each new book comes out. There was quite a bit of thought in this book and how Chronos' weird existence worked in "real life". That might make this book a bit too cerebral for some, but those areas can be cataloged and take as "Trek Talk" without too much loss to the story. Finally, to address Razinha's negative comment. Anthony stories do cast ladies in more traditional terms then much modern representations, but I would equate Anthony's representations of females as more akin to 2017's Wonder Woman then and denigration thereof. They are, at once, very feminine but still very powerful. With a Tangled Skein, Being a Green Mother and one other in this series alone focus on that feminine strength. Luna is certainly a powerful character seen both in this book and Pale Horse. In fact, this book notes that the most powerful incarnation, might just be the Green Mother. So, in fact, I credit Anthony for being ahead of his time, this series having been written in the 1980s. ( )
  Councelor | Oct 6, 2017 |
Piers Anthony is such a misogynist prick, but he sometimes wrote fun stories. I'd never gotten around to reading the eighth in this series (I didn't even know there was an eighth until maybe five years ago...) and I wanted a light diversion so I can clear my head and focus on a book I'm reviewing. This is a light diversion. His writing always seems pretty shallow, in part due to his approach and methods, and yet with this particular series, he seems to have at least some forethought of how he expected the original five, then seven (and I'll reserve judgment on eight until I eventually read it) books were going to fit together. It's still shallow, but at least there is an overall plan. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
A little more science-y than On a Pale Horse, but still a very fun read. It does take a while to fully figure out what is really happening, but that is part of the fun. ( )
  bookwyrmm | May 29, 2016 |
I really don't like this book. I only read it since it's part of a series and there are parts in this book that are necessary to understand the rest of the series. I can't even honestly say I read this- I skip whole chapters and skim most of the rest. It really is bad. I can't stand Norton. ( )
  aharey | Apr 2, 2016 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crisp, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norton threw down his knapsack and scooped up a double handful of water.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,193,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible