Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Birds of Prey Vol. 1: Endrun by Gail Simone

Birds of Prey Vol. 1: Endrun (edition 2011)

by Gail Simone (Author)

Series: Birds of Prey [volume 2] (1-6), Birds of Prey (Vol. 2 #1-6), Barbara Gordon: Batgirl/Oracle (complete) (Birds of Prey [2010] #1-6)

"When people need help, they call super-heroes. When super-heroes need help, they call the Birds of Prey. Or, at least they used to. Oracle and teammates Black Canary, Huntress and Lady Blackhawk have all parted ways. But soon the Birds of Prey will once morbe called upon to help heroes in need this time, the ones in danger are the Birds themselves. Someone has uncovered all of the Birds' secrets, and innocents will be killed unless the Birds reunite to face off against the world's deadliest martial artist. But Oracle has a few tricks up her sleeve as well, including avatar of war Hawk and his peaceful partner Dove. Can these wild cards tip the scale in the Birds' favor against an enemy who knows everything about them?" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)
Member:ValhallaStar
Title:Birds of Prey Vol. 1: Endrun
Authors:Gail Simone (Author)
Info:DC Comics (2011), Edition: First Edition, 160 pages

Birds of Prey: End Run by Gail Simone

I loved this series from its start and many of the characters became favorites (though never Huntress).

I picked this up at the library on a whim, having liked much of what I've read of Simone's work in the past.

This was a big WTF train wreck too reliant on too many unexplained and hanging plot threads, an abundance of sloppy and clumsy characterizations that didn't fit what I'd remembered of the characters, and a wafer-thin plot that was as full of holes as some of the laughable costumes.

Sad that such a great book, marvelous characters, and good writer came together in such a waste of trees..... ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
This is sort of a part of the Brightest Day Saga that's DC Universe spanning. But, unlike a lot of the other Brightest Day TPBs, this one is quite a bit more stand alone. Oracle, Canary, and their Bird of Prey friends are being attacked by someone who has info on all of them and will release it unless the Birds of Prey (including Lady Blackhawk, Hawk and Dove, and Huntress) play in their little game. A game which involves an assassin named White Canary, Savant and Creote, and a bit of a trip to Bangkok.

Gail Simone. I wish that she could write every comic book ever... (I know, first she'd have to be cloned). The relationships between all the characters are so real, and I just love, love, love the banter. I think that sometimes comic writers are scared to let their characters love each other (in whatever form), but Simone manages to make them both caring and able to kick some serious butt. ( )
  DanieXJ | Mar 30, 2015 |
Can you go home again? That's the question asked by End Run, as Oracle, Black Canary, the Huntress, and Lady Blackhawk reunite as the Birds of Prey once more. Black Canary is fresh off of a disastrous Justice League tenure and an even more disastrous divorce... who knows what everyone else has been up to, except that Misfit is sadly nowhere to be seen despite being left in the care of the Huntress in The Cure. The answer seems to be yes, as we're treated to about eight thousand caption boxes where Oracle, Black Canary, and Huntress express their happiness as the reunion ad nauseam.

It's also the question asked outside of the comic, as this brings Gail Simone back to the title-- alongside Ed Benes, her original art partner. End Run provides a decent story, as the Birds battle the mysterious "White Canary," and it seems like some very near and dear to them have suffered because of them. (They have, though not quite in the way they imagined.) The plotline with Oracle trying to figure out what happened to Savant and Creote is probably the best part of this; I found myself less enamored with the Birds' field team being constantly attacked again and again.

For all that parts of this book work, other parts just don't add up. Black Canary is threatened with exposure of her civilian identity... but back in Simone's first run on the title, Dinah actually published a book about her life as the Black Canary! She also frets over being a murderer like Ollie... you know, the guy who killed a man who killed millions but is demonized for it for no readily apparent reason. Also, Hawk and Dove join the team, and as to who Hawk and Dove are and why you should care and why Oracle picked them... well, don't look for any answers here. I guess it's because they've got bird-themed names?

(There are captions for the first appearance of each character. Not just in the book, but in every. single. issue. But I've read "Hawk: Avatar of War" six times now, and I'm no closer to knowing what it means or who he is. Cut these things out of the collection, for goodness sake!)

I did like the two-issue story at the end, where Dinah is forced to fight Lady Shiva for the sake of her adopted daughter Sin... only the Huntress has other plans. Any plotline that showcases how awesome the Huntress is is fine by me, and this is definitely one of them.

Like I said earlier, Ed Benes is back, but I'm not sure why. He manages to complete one whole issue; a couple more he starts, and someone else finishes. (I can't tell who, because there's no individual art credits.) Benes, of course, can't draw a picture undefined by the male gaze, but he did good work on this title in the past, and this isn't up to those standards-- his faces are blank and dull and filled with pouty lips. The storytelling is confusing and sloppy, and as always, anyone pretending to be Benes is even worse than Benes. The overly-done coloring seems to work against the whole effect, too.

End Run isn't maybe as bad as this review makes it sound, but it could be a lot better, and I don't of yet see the point of the Birds' breaking up and reunifying. (I'm sure there wasn't one, but still...) This great return hasn't yet convinced me it was worth the effort.

Birds of Prey: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »

Purcell, JackIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Urusov, AlinaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wands, SteveLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Barbara Gordon: Batgirl/Oracle (complete) (Birds of Prey [2010] #1-6)
Birds of Prey (Vol. 2 #1-6)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,529,753 books! | Top bar: Always visible