It's About Time! (MathStart 1) by…

It's About Time! (MathStart 1)

by Stuart J. Murphy

Other authors: John Speirs (Illustrator)

It's About Time-to wake up-to learn, to play, to read-to cuddle up in the blankets and to dream. A twenty-four -- hour day is full of great things to do! Endearing illustrations depicting things kids do every day make this an easy introduction to the skill of telling time, perfect for very young readers.… (more)

Time Machine
It's About Time.... a timely book, April 14, 2005

This book by Stuart Murphy is part of his MathStart series. It covers time by relating the hours of the day to a little boy's activities: waking up, meals, going to school, playing, going home, story time, nap time, bath time, going to bed, etc. [If you are wondering about the early morning hours, they are spent frolicking with some friendly dream-monsters that dance and caper about.]

The book focuses only on the `hour' but I think for a start that is perfect. After a child can read the hours reliably they can move on to the half-hour, quarter hours, etc.

Each hour in this book is given a page which demonstrates not only how that hour is spent but both a digital and conventional (analog) representations of the time. The artwork is colorful and sweet and my only real complaint is that I wish they had separated the pictures of the analog clock from that of the digital clock because it makes it hard to `test' whether a child can read the traditional clock. (Digital seems so much easier for some reason.)

As with all of Mr. Murphy's books there are suggestions for how to teach time at the end of the book as well as various practice/exercise ideas. In addition, in this book, the author has a recommended reading list of three other books about time: Clocks and More Clocks by Pat Hutchins; My First Book of Time by Claire Llewllyn; and Train Leaves the Station by Eve Merriam.

You might also try a video called Rock N' Learn: Telling Time that has been useful in reinforcing the concept of reading clocks around our house.

NOTE: As for the age recommendation, I think this book would also be good for a younger child. With my just turned 3 year old we discuss just how time passes and how we have certain activities that we do at the same time each day. ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Jul 27, 2016 |
It's About Time. . .

. . . to wake up.

. . . to learn, to play, to read.

. . . to cuddle up in the blankets and to dream.

barbaravick | Sep 17, 2012 |
This is a great book to discuss time with your students. Can have the students make the time shown on the digital clock on a manual clock. Allows them to see the order of the hours throughout the day. Ideal for first grade!
  clhildreth | Mar 7, 2010 |
This book is for primary grade students and is about a boy that keeps up with his daily schedule. It is helpful for children to learn how to read a clock. There are pictures on each page that help identify the time period of each thing he is doing (wake up, go to school, hang with friends, lunch time, nap time, play time, dinner time, bath time, bed time, etc.). The young boy dreams of playing with monsters and friends all night during his sleep and wakes back up at 6:00 am to start a new day. This book could easily relate to other children's schedules and help them tell time on their own. ( )
  smmote | Sep 28, 2009 |
GRL K,5 copies
  Totarobookroom | Jul 24, 2009 |

Stuart J. Murphyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Speirs, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,805,399 books! | Top bar: Always visible