Burnt Offerings by Laurell K. Hamilton

English (44)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
I really loved this book. I am really enjoying the whole Anita Blake series thus far. I'm a little sad that Anita and Richard didn't work out, but never say never, right!? I really hope they end up together. I think that Jean-Claude is very sweet and romantic, but you can't get a better guy than Richard in my opinion. So, here's hope for Anita and Richard!!! : ( )
  ecmross | Apr 19, 2019 |
Anita has chosen Jean-Claude over Richard, though, of course, she can't just walk away from Richard altogether. It's never easy for her. A visiting council of vampires has come to town to investigate Jean-Claude and his group, including Anita and Jean-Claude. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
Dopo aver riletto due volte questo libro finalmente mi accingo a commentarlo come meriterebbe.
Posso dire che è uno, se non IL, libro che ho più apprezzato in tutta la saga.
Non so perchè ma l'entrata in scena dei pardi nella vita di Anita mi affascina in modo morboso xD
Nat è uno dei miei personaggi preferiti insieme al dolcissimo Step ^^
Sono dell'idea che prima o poi Richard si torverà una nuova Lupa e per questo Anita perderà parte della sua nuova 'famiglia'.
La vicinanza dei pardi (dato che è la sua Namir-Ra) secondo me l'aiuterà e renderà il seguito MOLTO più avvincente xDIn questo volume vediamo Richard che, come al solito, non riesce a mantenere il sague freddo, è potente ma nulla mi toglierà dall testa che non sarà mai un vero capo per i lupi. Non si accetta e non riesce ad essere equilibrato e freddo. L'aiuto di Anita sarebbe cruciale per il suo branco ma sappiamo bene che Richard non accetterà di dividerla con il Master. Non so, lo reputo un bel libro di 'transizione' e assestamento. Credo che presto ne vedremo delle belle! ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
The plot was a bit tiring in parts, like Richard's constant bitchiness and attitude for example. We get it. Dude's pissed. Okay. Enough. And the constant games of cat and mouse with the vampires gets re-hashed over and over, but that's probably normal. I did enjoy learning a lot more of the power of a triumvirate and the power of the lukoi. And despite taking a while to get anywhere, the book redeemed itself in the last 50 pages or so.

As with a lot of her books lately, while they may not start off or be so great in the middle, by the time I finished and put the book down I was pleased. No regrets. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |
Anita is hired by Captain Pete McKinnon of the Fire Department to investigate a series of unusual fires. He had been referred to Anita by Sergeant Rudolph Storr, leader of RPIT (Regional Preternatural Investigation Team). McKinnon thinks these fires have all the signs of a firebug, a pyrokinetic arsonist. He had previously encountered such a psychic talent and does not want to repeat those experiences. This novel is full of action and violence. It does not have as much sex as other books in the series, but it does have plenty of sexual innuendo. It does not disappoint the reader. Highly recommended for Hamilton fans and for anyone else who enjoys tales of preternatural creatures, violent activities, and a touch of lust. Enjoy! ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For my grandmother, Laura Gentry, who at 4' 11" taught me that you could be small, female, and still be tough.
Most people don't stare at the scars.

"YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYONE WHO SLEEPS WITH THE MONSTERS."

That's what I've always said. That's what I've always believed. But now I'm the one sharing a bed with the Master Vampire of the City. Me, Anita Blake. The woman the vampires call the Executioner. From part of the solution, I've become part of the problem. So it hits close to home when an arsonist begins to target vampire-owned businesses all over town--an arsonist who seems to want to destroy more than just property. It's the monsters who are in danger now.

And it's up to the Executioner to save them from the inferno...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134473, Mass Market Paperback)

Burnt Offerings is the seventh in Laurell K. Hamilton's genre-straddling Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series. Anita carries a gun and an attitude: "Questions are great, but only if you know the answers. If you ask questions and the answers surprise you, you look silly. Hard to be threatening when you look ill-informed."

As Burnt Offerings unfolds, Anita agrees to help track down a possible psychic firestarter. She's also policing the local werewolf pack, though she's split up with their alpha, Richard. Then Jean-Claude, the vampire Master of the City and her lover, needs her help to confront a visiting delegation of the vampires' ruling council. They wonder how he got the power to destroy a council member and believe him dangerous to the hierarchy.

This fast-paced, urban fantasy includes gore, hardboiled mystery and a romantic triangle. The vampires and werewolves are as three-dimensional as the human characters, allowing us to join Anita in wondering who the real monsters are and to understand how her increased personal involvement with them is alienating her from her human colleagues. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

Feared by vampires as "The Executioner," Anita Blake finds herself not only sharing a bed with Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City, but also defending St. Louis's vampire-owned businesses from an arsonist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,400,126 books! | Top bar: Always visible