Empire State: A Love Story (or Not) by Jason…

Empire State: A Love Story (or Not)

by Jason Shiga

Meh...

That's pretty much all I get from this. I like the colour scheme. But I had a hard time figuring out location the main character was in, or if I was reading a flash back or a present situation.

I was a little disappointed when the girl didn't meet him at the Empire State Building.

I wouldn't pay full price for this. I found it at a dollarstore, that's about all its worth. ( )
  Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
Jimmy has romantic feelings for his friend Sara and when she moves across the country, he decides to follow her.

This is a relatively short book that reads pretty quick, especially given that narration is at a minimum, depending instead of dialogue and wordless illustration panels to tell the story. The characters are kind of "eh" to be honest and the cartoony illustration style is not to my liking (although I must admit I like the monochromatic color schemes). The 'plot,' such as it is, is rather vague and ends a bit up in the air. I can sum up this title best as saying it was mildly entertaining in the moment but mostly this was a forgettable read. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 13, 2016 |
Jimmy's best friend Sara moves to New York City from Oakland. Realizing what she really means to him, Jimmy decides to bus to New York and meet her at the top of the Empire State Building, a la "Sleepless in Seattle." There's an appealing every-guy ordinariness to Jimmy which makes his gesture endearing and bittersweet. The dialog and interaction between Jimmy and Sara has the authentic flow of buddies hanging out. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Jimmy is a geeky boy working at the library in Oakland. His best friend moves across the country to New York City and Jimmy decides to follow her and proclaim his affection. Unfortunately he doesn't get her letter and ends up alone at the Empire State Building only to find out that Sara, has a boyfriend.

Thought this was cute and exactly the kind of thing that people believe can only happen to them but I think happens all the time. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Jimmy is a stereotypical geek who works at the library in Oakland, California, and is trapped in his own torpidity. Sara is his best friend, but she wants to get a life (translation: an apartment in Brooklyn and a publishing internship). When Sara moves to New York City, Jimmy is rattled. Then lonely. Then desperate. He screws up his courage, writes Sara a letter about his true feelings, and asks her to meet him at the top of the Empire State Building (a nod to their ongoing debate about Sleepless in Seattle).

Jimmy's cross-country bus trip to Manhattan is as hapless and funny as Jimmy himself. When he arrives in the city he's thought of as "a festering hellhole," he's surprised by how exciting he finds New York, and how heartbreaking—he discovers Sara has a boyfriend!

Jason Shiga's bold visual storytelling, sly pokes at popular culture, and subtle text work together seamlessly in Empire State, creating a quirky graphic novel comedy about the vagaries of love and friendship.

Praise for Empire State:

"He [Shiga] displays a wicked sense of comic timing."
-Publishers Weekly

"Empire State: A Love Story (Or Not) is funny, sweet, geeky and affecting, and definitely worth a read."
-Wired.com

"Shiga's illustrations . . . are unique and endearing, and his images of NYC are instantly recognizable."
 -am New York

"If Woody Allen grew up in Oakland rather than Manhattan, he'd most likely see the world, and especially New York City, as Jason Shiga does in Empire State." -Big Think.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:53 -0400)

When his best friend, Sara, moves to New York City, Jimmy--who loves science fiction but knows very little about the outside world--works up the courage to travel cross-country by bus to see her, and perhaps change their relationship.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,086 books! | Top bar: Always visible