Turm der Hexer. Die Belgariad-Saga 04. by…

Turm der Hexer. Die Belgariad-Saga 04. (edition 2005)

by David Eddings (Autor)

A magnificent epic set against a history of seven thousand years of the struggles of Gods and Kings and men - of strange lands and events - of fate and a prophecy that must be fulfilled!THE BELGARIADIt had all begun with the theft of the Orb that had so long protected the West from the evil God Torak. Before that, Garion had been a simple farm boy. Afterward, he discovered that his aunt was really the Sorceress Polgara and his grandfather was Belgarath, the Eternal Man. Then, on the long quest to recover the Orb, Garion found to his dismay that he, too, was a sorcerer.Now, at last, the Orb was regained and the quest was nearing its end. Of course, the questors still had to escape from this crumbling enemy fortress and flee across a desert filled with Murgo soldiers searching for them, while Grolim Hierarchs strove to destroy them with dark magic. Then, somehow, they must manage to be in Riva with the Orb by Erastide.After that, however, Garion was sure that his part in these great events would be finished.But the Prophecy still held future surprises for Garion - and for the little Princess Ce'Nedra!Thus continues book four of THE BELGARIAD… (more)
Member:juemka
Title:Turm der Hexer. Die Belgariad-Saga 04.
Authors:David Eddings (Autor)
Info:Bastei Lübbe (2005), Edition: 7., 414 pages

Work Information

Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings

English (51)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (58)
Castle of Wizardry is the fourth out of five books in the Belgariad series by David Eddings. I think I enjoyed this slightly more than the previous books, although I’m still sticking with a four-star rating.

This series is full of traveling, and this book had some of that too, but I enjoyed that the characters stayed in one place more. Events that readers have been waiting to see happen since the first book finally started happening too, so it was fun to see that. As with all of the books so far, I chuckled several times at the character banter, although I’m not sure if it was more or less than the other books. It seemed like a little bit more.

I’m not a big fan of the prophecy trope. That’s been present in the whole series but was more explicit in this book. I especially dislike it when it’s implied that people and events are being manipulated by a higher power to bring about the desired prophesied events. I feel like it cheapens the characters’ actions a bit if everything they do was fated to happen anyway.

I’m a little confused why Relg hasn’t realized that Errand is the boy he’s supposed to take back to his people by now. Maybe just because he expected to discover him as a baby born among his people. Or maybe I read too much into things when Errand was introduced at the end of book 3 and he has nothing to do with that, but it seemed to me like it fits very well. I guess I’ll see if it comes up in the last book.

One more book to go! ( )
  YouKneeK | Oct 30, 2021 |
Many people think David Eddings is overly formulaic which he is a bit but since I enjoy the tale he tells I do not mind reading it over again. His characters always have great humor at their core and you cannot beat a good epic tale for entertainment value. This particular book is probably my least favorite in the Belgariad. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
The fourth installment of The Belgariad Series By David Eddings. The characters have me totally immersed in this fantasy world, and Eddings writing and story telling has improved with each book.

This book is the set-up for the finale in book 5, so it was not as action-packed as the first three. The series is old school fantasy, good vs. evil and all the elements/people have come together for the final battle. A good fun read ( )
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
I'm feeling like this series could have been two good books instead of dragging out over five books of declining quality. Garion unexpectedly finds himself king! Ce'Nedra gets some armor and becomes the speech-giving inspiration for the army! One more book is required before the epic saga concludes! ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
Listened to audio narrated by Cameron Beierie. Their story continues from the end of 'Magician's Gambit.' They've acquired the orb but must escape with it and are making their way back to Riva. There's an interesting side story with Relg and the slave woman Taiba, with hints that their story will have importance later. Garion and Ce'Nedra are in for a big surprise when they reach Riva and discover Garion's identity.

This is such an epic fantasy tale, it's easy to forget that Garion and Ce'Nedra are still very young. The author reminds us and confuses with both of them acting very immature and childlike one minute, then very mature and responsible the next. Both of these characters finally start to grow into their roles within the prophecy and become leaders in their own way. Garion hopes to head off war by confronting Torak, while Ce'Nedra steps into the Queen role by gathering the forces necessary to protect the kingdom.

This story seems to meander as we take side trips to learn about other characters and events and just when you think we're getting to the end, you find out you have to wait for the next book for the final confrontation.

More of my reviews can be found at https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/

wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |

Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bibbidie,
and for Chopper Jack
and for Jimmy and Eddie
- close and special friends who have given support from the start.
Being an account of how Riva Iron-grip became Guardian of the Orb of Aldur and of the evil wrought by Nyissa.
- based upon The Book of Alorn and later accounts

Now a time came when Cherek and his three sons went with Belgarath the Sorcerer into Mallorea. (prologue)
Ctuchik was dead - and more than dead - and the earth itself heaved and groaned in the aftershock of his destruction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,590,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible