Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner

Snowmen at Night (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Caralyn Buehner (Author), Mark Buehner (Illustrator)

Series: Snowmen (1)

Snowmen play games at night when no one is watching.
Member:Anderson22
Title:Snowmen at Night
Authors:Caralyn Buehner (Author)
Other authors:Mark Buehner (Illustrator)
Info:Dial Books (2004), Edition: Board Book, 26 pages
Rating:*****

Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner (2002)

This is a charming book about the adventures of snowmen (and snow ladies, children, & pets) at night. The words have an easy rhythmic flow that my students love to listen to, "His hat had slipped, his arms drooped down, he really looked a fright", not to mention the new vocabulary I was able to introduce to my students. The illustrations are both captivating and humorous, and the details are outstanding. This story stirs up so many connections, conversations, and smiles! Great book! ( )
  kristenheidecker | Jan 17, 2020 |
Snowmen at night is a great book with talking about all the fun snowmen have at night while we are all sleeping! It's a very engaging book, and there are great chances for making predictions, visualizing, and inferring! For example, my students had to really think about why snowmen would be drinking ice cold cocoa! It's a fun read with kiddos and it gets their imaginations stirring! ( )
  Anderson22 | Jan 14, 2020 |
Every year I enjoy reading these books with my class. The illustrations are so detailed, with the use of color depicting certain times of night, and how everything is lit up, using shading of colors like yellows and orange. It gets the students excited for winter, and also paved the way for writing about other imaginable characters points of view. ( )
  iversonh | Jul 13, 2018 |
Have you ever built a snowman and discovered the next day that his grin has gotten a little crooked, or his tree-branch arms have moved? And you've wondered . . . what do snowmen do at night? This delightful wintertime tale reveals all! Caralyn Buehner's witty, imaginative verse offers many amusing details about the secret life of snowmen and where they go at night, while Mark Buehner's roly-poly snowmen are bursting with personality and charm.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 4, 2018 |
There are three reasons why I did not like this book. First, I did not like how the book was not very long and did not have many words on each page. For example, each page was only a short paragraph with the focus on the pictures rather than the words. Second, I did not like how some of the words on the page was not in a straight line of words, or in paragraph format. Instead some phrases were sideways. For example, the page represented the snowmen sledding down the hill, therefore, the line of words was in a formation of the words going down the hill. I just found it harder to read for some children that may have a challenging time reading. Third, I did not like how, although the story was from a kid’s imagination, the story never showed children the real reason why snowmen look different in the morning compared to when you make them. For example, the kid imagines that snowmen drink hot cocoa and go sledding at night, instead of melting away throughout the night. The big idea of this story was showing what children might think that snowmen do at night to end up all melty in the morning. ( )
  Asterl1 | Feb 15, 2018 |

Caralyn Buehnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Buehner, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blane, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jay and Kris, our surreptitious snowman shifters
One wintry day I made a snowman,
very round and tall.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,638,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible