A Crack in the Line

by Michael Lawrence

Series: Withern Rise (1)

Sixteen-year-old Alaric discovers how to travel to an alternate reality, where his mother is alive and his place in the family is held by a girl named Naia.

I really love the concept of this book, although to be honest thinking too much about how it only takes the littlest thing "a crack in the line" to derail our lives really cant be good for my anxiety. The idea of alternate realities is done well and I liked the main characters and the differences (and similarities) of how they dealt with the situation. The setting comes through very strong and the snowed in house where the story takes place was easy for me to imagine. It probably didnt hurt that it was snowing while I was reading though. Looking forward to continuing the series. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
This book is about how if you are in a life or death situation, two realities are created, one where you lived and one where you died. The book is about how two kids find out about the realities, and they are each from a different reality. ( )
  AlizarinCrimson | Jan 7, 2021 |
A Boy named Alaric's life has unraveled in the two years since he lost his mother in a terrible train crash. He and his father are barely speaking, and their home, Withern Rise, is in shambles. A Girl Naia tries not to dwell on the accident that nearly killed her mother two years ago, now that life with her parents at Withern Rise has returned to normal.They are One and the Same, and Alaric and Naia do not know each other, or that they are living nearly identical lives. But when they meet, their resemblance to each other is unmistakable. As their lives entwine, they uncover a truth that has the power to rearrange, or even erase, their very existence.
  mbrandel | May 4, 2016 |
very confusing ( )
  IssacDiamond | May 21, 2013 |
This review was originally posted on my blog, The Reading Hammock (readinghammock.blogspot.com).

This is the type of book that I can reread thousands of times and still never tire of. As soon as I picked it up, I couldn’t put it down. The beginning was slightly confusing because the author shifts between the two major characters and their respective realities. However, my initial confusion soon turned into a deeper interest in the story and my discovery of its true originality. At the end of the first book, I was glad to see that this is part of a trilogy. The author cleverly continues this story and keeps the reader’s attention. The world of Lawrence’s trilogy contains an everlasting number of realities, containing the same people with different fates. This idea was brought to a whole new level in the sequels of this novel. I highly recommend this story to anyone looking for an interesting read. ( )
  ReadingHammock | Aug 7, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-.
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost, "The Road Not Taken"
The most beautiful experience we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
For May and Ron Knight and the host of others who knew and loved W.B. all those years ago.
At sixteen, Alaric and Naia were as alike as any two people of the opposite sexes can be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,291,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible