HomeGroupsTalkExplore

28 Barbary Lane (1990)

by Armistead Maupin

Series: Tales of the City (1-3)

Armistead Maupin's uproarious and moving Tales of the City novels--the first three of which are collected in this omnibus volume--have earned a unique niche in American literature and are considered indelible documents of cultural change from the seventies through the first two decades of the new millennium. "These novels are as difficult to put down as a dish of pistachios. The reader starts playing the old childhood game of 'Just one more chapter and I'll turn out the lights,' only to look up and discover it's after midnight."--Los Angeles Times Book Review Originally serialized in the San Francisco Chronicle, Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City (1978), More Tales of the City (1980), and Further Tales of the City (1982) afforded a mainstream audience of millions its first exposure to straight and gay characters experiencing on equal terms the follies of urban life. Among the cast of this groundbreaking saga are the lovelorn residents of 28 Barbary Lane: the bewildered but aspiring Mary Ann Singleton, the libidinous Brian Hawkins; Mona Ramsey, still in a sixties trance, Michael "Mouse" Tolliver, forever in bright-eyed pursuit of Mr. Right; and their marijuana-growing landlady, the indefatigable Mrs. Madrigal. Hurdling barriers both social and sexual, Maupin leads them through heartbreak and triumph, through nail-biting terrors and gleeful coincidences. The result is a glittering and addictive comedy of manners that continues to beguile new generations of readers.… (more)

English (7)  German (1)  All languages (8)
I think you may have to be from the Bay Area to fully appreciate this. San Francisco is no longer the city described by Maupin. But if you would like a trip down memory lane, the San Francisco of lore is on full and accurate display in his work, that I believe was originally published as a newspaper serial, but don't quote me on it.
It's an historical snapshot of a culturally relevant time and people. ( )
  jdaneway | Apr 18, 2021 |
Had forgotten some of the qualities of the 70s in SF. And then Jim Jones and other craziness. A fun reread.
  ritaer | Mar 6, 2018 |
Ridiculous fun, even the cracktastic Further Tales of the City. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
I used to read the Tales of the City books over and over when I lived in Ohio. They were a talisman for me of the life I wanted, the characters then about 10 years older than I. I haven't read them again since Ohio, and in the interim I did live in The City for a while so I had a sense of place this time that was missing from my earlier reads. This re-read was bittersweet on many levels but it still felt a lot like coming home. If you want an objective review, you'll have to go elsewhere. I love these people. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
Completely addicting. ( )
  courtb | Aug 4, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,609,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible