Hell Is Empty: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt…

Hell Is Empty: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries) (2011)

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (7)

The Inferno by Dante Alighieri (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Hell Is Empty makes frequent allusions to Dante's Inferno.

I love Craig Johnson's writing; this is the sixth in the Longmire series I've read. However, this story is weak. There is little mystery and even less plot. Longmire is engaged in a super-human chase of an insane criminal whose objective is unclear and, when finally revealed, is lame. Much of the book seems to take place inside Sheriff Walt's head, who is apparently hallucinating. Johnson's strength is in character development, and I enjoyed the return of Virgil White Buffalo to Walt's life, I'm afraid it may have only been in Walt's mind.
So, while I will read others, this didn't measure up to their level of others in the series.

I listened to the audible audition and enjoyed George Guidall's reading as much as ever. ( )
  MidwestGeek | Dec 29, 2017 |
Another great Longmire book. And like the book before, it was impossible to stop reading when the story took off. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This series gets better with each book.

This time around, Walt is assisting with a prisoner transfer and investigation with several agencies, including the FBI. Yes, there is cold, ice, and the typical Wyoming winter you have come to expect. Is it ever summer, or even spring, in Absaroka county? Or are all of the criminals so excited to have some warmth that they take some time off from breaking the law so we don't get mysteries set in summer? But I digress.

Walt, protector of everyone, is on the hunt when the prisoner transfer goes south in the middle of a blizzard. He's my favorite version of an everyman hero, and I love the partners he takes in this one to save the day.

If you aren't already reading this series, you should be. But don't start with this one--start at the beginning and enjoy the ride. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
I listened to this book. I liked it a lot. Longmire and one of his deputies transport prisoners across his county to hand them off to the feds. One of the federal officers has asked for three sheriffs to be present. One of the prisoners, Raynaud Shade, an adopted Crow Indian is a very dangerous sociopath. He has admitted to kidnapping and killing Owen White Buffalo, grandson of Virgil White Buffalo. Virgil showed up in an earlier book as a huge Indian man with a lot of skills. He is hiding out in the mountains. Shade shows the group where the boy is buried and it happens to be in Longmire's county so the other sheriffs are sent home. After Longmire leaves, Shade manages an escape taking the other prisoners with him. He had help from a girlfriend. The head FBI agent is injured but alive, but the other officers are killed except for 2 Shade has taken prisoner. Shade heads up the mountain. Longmire goes after him alone. Along the way, he meets Virgil White Buffalo who saves him after a snow mobile he was riding tipped over on him. Virgil is wearing the skin of a great grizzly he says he killed. There seems to be questions as to whether either Longmire or Virgil are alive or dead as they go up the mountain. Virgil seems to disappear at times and then reappear. There is a lot of what I call Indian spiritualism. There is a showdown between Shade and Longmire who is armed only with an ancient lance given to him by Virgil who also showed him how to use it. I really liked this book.
  taurus27 | Apr 30, 2017 |
Some might consider the structural and plot elements lifted from Dante's Inferno to be a bit heavyhanded, and if I was more familiar with the 700 year old poem, I might agree; but my layman's association with the work found the parallel perfect. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
Deft as always, but dearly missed from this stark, wintry tale is grizzled Walt’s much younger lover, his feisty, tormenting, adorable girl of summer.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 15, 2011)

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
guidall, georgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, DarrenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hell is Empty
And all the devils are here.
~ William Shakespear
The Tempest
Act 1, scene 2
Ch 'i' non averei creduto
che morte tanta n'avese disfatta

I should not have thought
that death could ever have unmade so many.
~ Dante Alighierie,
Inferno
Canto 3, lines 56-57
For
Joe Drabyak (1950-2010),
who has died so many literary deaths and continues to live on in so many well-read hearts.
"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full?"

Well-read and world-weary, Sheriff Wade Longmire has been maintaining order in Wyoming's Absaroka County for more than thirty years, but in this riviting seventh outing, he is pushed to his limits.

Raynaud Shade, an adopted Crow Indian rumored to be one of the country's most dangerous sociopaths, has just confessed to murdering a boy ten years ago and burying him deep within the Bighorn Mountains. Walt is asked to transport Shade through a blizzard to the site, but what begins as a typical criminal transport turns personal when the veteran lawman learns that he knows the dead boy's family.

Guided only by Indian mysticism and a battered paperback of Dante's Inferno, Walt braves the icy hell of the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area, cheating death to ensure justice - both civil and spiritual - is served.

Wyoming's favorite sheriff braves a frozen inferno as he races to capture an escaped murderer.

Well-read and world-weary, Sheriff Walt Longmire has been maintaing order in Wyoming's Absaroka County for more than thirty years, but in this riveting seventh outing, he is pushed to his limits. Raynaud Shade, an adopted Crow Indian, has just confessed to murdering a boy ten years ago and burying him deep within the Big Horn Mountains. After transporting Shade and a group of other convicted murderers through a snowstorm, Walt is informed by the FBI that the body is buried in his jurisdiction-and the victim's name is White Buffalo. Guided only by Indian mysticism and a battered paperback of Dante's Inferno, Walt pursues Shade and his fellow escapees into the icy hell of the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area, cheating death to ensure that justice-both civil and spiritual-is served.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:39 -0400)

Transporting a confessed murderer only to learn that the man's crime falls under his jurisdiction and that the killer has escaped, Sheriff Walt Longmire taps insights from Indian mysticism and Dante's "Inferno" in a manhunt through the icy Cloud Peak Wilderness Area.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,807,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible