Hell is Empty (2011)

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (7)

Transporting a confessed murderer only to learn that the man's crime falls under his jurisdiction and that the killer has escaped, Sheriff Walt Longmire taps insights from Indian mysticism and Dante's "Inferno" in a manhunt through the icy Cloud Peak Wilderness Area.
    Inferno by Dante Alighieri (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Hell Is Empty makes frequent allusions to Dante's Inferno.

So much better than the tv ep that drew from this book. I was worried that I'd just feel frozen after spending so much time in the WY blizzard with the Sherriff. But there were wide open spaces in that blizzard. Almost makes me want to read the Inferno. Almost. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
I am seriously hooked on these books....Read the first in the series and now I can't quit reading them. They have all been excellent. ( )
  JayneWarren | May 18, 2021 |
Holy giant piles of *censored*, this is like the stories I grew up with around the fire come to life, and in the best way possible. Writing's on point throughout, and the wee wobbles weren't - and if this is the direction these novels are headed in, go go go. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |
The Walt Longmire series is one of my favorites. I'm reading through the books slowly, savoring each story. I like the characters, the setting and the plots. I was a huge fan of the television show, but I like the books even more. The characters are a bit different and the plots are richer. I view the show and the books as two different visions of the same characters/plots and enjoy each for what they are.

Hell is Empty is the 7th book in the series. Three dangerous convicts escape from custody. One of them confessed to killing a 10-year old boy years before and burying the body in the surrounding Big Horn Mountains. The convicts disappear into the mountains during a snowstorm, forcing Longmire to track them into the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area. The final showdown just might be Longmire's last....

Another great book in the Longmire series! The plot is a little bit similar to a previous book (Longmire trapped in a life-or-death situation in the snow and aided by tribal spirits), but I didn't mind. The situation was different enough that it didn't seem like a needless plot recycle. I loved the ending. The showdown with the bad guys was awesome....and the little supernatural nuances added to the suspense.

I listened to the audio version of this book. George Guidell always gives an outstanding performance! He voices Longmire perfectly...and gives Vic the proper attitude. The audio is just over 8.5 hours long and a great listening experience!

I'm reading and listening my way through this series slowly so I can savor each book. I was so sad when the television series ended, so I'm avoiding catching up with the author on this series. I don't want to have to wait a year or more for a Longmire fix....I prefer to have a trip to Absaroka County available on-demand. So taking my time. :) I'm glad I am not impatient. This series is great....so there is always a waiting list for each audio book on my library's digital site. I finish one...and then put the next book on hold. It all works out! :) ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
A brutal criminal Chase story that descends (ascends) into a frozen hell. It includes a guide to the circles of hell.
In many ways a hella journey for Longmire complete with the core self Discovery for him,
It certainly stands out as unique from the prior novels. It is both a compelling story and a journey into another's mind. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Oct 20, 2020 |
Deft as always, but dearly missed from this stark, wintry tale is grizzled Walt’s much younger lover, his feisty, tormenting, adorable girl of summer.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (May 15, 2011)

Johnson, Craigprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
guidall, georgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, DarrenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hell is Empty
And all the devils are here.
~ William Shakespear
The Tempest
Act 1, scene 2
Ch 'i' non averei creduto
che morte tanta n'avese disfatta

I should not have thought
that death could ever have unmade so many.
~ Dante Alighierie,
Inferno
Canto 3, lines 56-57
For
Joe Drabyak (1950-2010),
who has died so many literary deaths and continues to live on in so many well-read hearts.
"Didn't your mother ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full?"

Well-read and world-weary, Sheriff Wade Longmire has been maintaining order in Wyoming's Absaroka County for more than thirty years, but in this riviting seventh outing, he is pushed to his limits.

Raynaud Shade, an adopted Crow Indian rumored to be one of the country's most dangerous sociopaths, has just confessed to murdering a boy ten years ago and burying him deep within the Bighorn Mountains. Walt is asked to transport Shade through a blizzard to the site, but what begins as a typical criminal transport turns personal when the veteran lawman learns that he knows the dead boy's family.

Guided only by Indian mysticism and a battered paperback of Dante's Inferno, Walt braves the icy hell of the Cloud Peak Wilderness Area, cheating death to ensure justice - both civil and spiritual - is served.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,061,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible