The Curse of the Blue Figurine (1983)

by John Bellairs

Series: Johnny Dixon (1)

Johnny Dixon is plunged into a terrifying mystery-adventure when he removes a blue figurine called a ushabt. from church.

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
The little Catholic touches are nice, especially for those of us who can remember our parochial school days, but overall it's a silly story with a few too many plot holes and a resolution that reads like it was written on the fly. I doubt I would have enjoyed it any more had I been 9 years old. ( )
  NurseBob | Feb 6, 2023 |
There seems to be a template for this author: boy becomes unwitting pawn of supernatural force, but is rescued in the nick of time and overcomes the evil. The appeal for me to today is the locations and the period; in the 70s Bellairs wrote books set in the 50s, most likely in the time of his own adolescence. The locations are also enjoyable, because I am familiar with them. ( )
  themulhern | Dec 29, 2019 |

Fun read, remarkably suspenseful. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Hmmm. I honestly don't know what I think of this book. I nearly quit, out of sheer boredom - not with the story, but with the language and sentence structure. It's really, really basic and simplistic. The story is interesting, both in itself and in the world it depicts, but the characters are sketchy stereotypes, there's several instances of telling ("Johnny felt happy.") instead of showing, and the book is an illustration of the thing I never really believed in from writing classes, where they tell you to vary the length and patterns of your sentences or it gets dull. If this is an early book by Bellairs, maybe he gets better, so I'll try a few more. I also never felt scared, though I dislike horror stories; the setup is a little too obvious, and (again) the language is too simplistic, to draw me in and make me _feel_ the events. OK, my opinion is - not particularly good but it's worth trying some others in the series. Definitely a read-once, though. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 15, 2017 |
This book is a great horror. It’s creepy and yet don’t let me think of everything goes into ghosts! I love the setting, flow and the character that made the story more realistic. ( )
  CristinaAllen | Apr 13, 2016 |

John Bellairsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gorey, Edwardsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gerry, who knows about ushabtis
It was a cold winter evening in January.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,988,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible