Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter,…

Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 11) (edition 2004)

by Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)

Feared by vampires as "The Executioner," Anita Blake finds herself not only sharing a bed with Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City, but also defending St. Louis's vampire-owned businesses from an arsonist.
Member:DoaneNerd
Title:Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 11)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton (Author)
Info:Berkley (2004), 560 pages

Work Information

Cerulean Sins by Laurell K. Hamilton

English (55)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
I really loved Laurell K. Hamilton's early Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series books but I did feel like she lost the thread a bit in the middle of the series. I am glad to say that it seems like she is focusing more on the story line and less on the sex of late which makes the books better in my opinion. I think Anita is a great character and Laurell K. Hamilton can write a great plot but her overly complicated sex scenes can somewhat take away from the book. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Anita Blake is back on track in this book. Working with the police and trying to keep herself and her friends safe. This book was much better than the last one, so I guess I'll continue on with the series.

It seems Anita and some of her monster friends go up a level in each book. More powers emerge.

Her love life is more of a mess than ever. It seems the author still insists on having Anita jump through erotic metaphysical hoops to rationalize her libido against her Catholic-girl values.

There was a lengthy discussion between Anita and Nathaniel (a wereleopard), and another with Anita and Asher (a vampire) about how she holds part of herself back from her lovers, would-be lovers, and friends. As if she can't give 100% of herself. It was a great way to do a character analysis since the book is first-person.

I'm not sure how I feel about her police buddy Dolf having a nervous breakdown because his son is planning on marrying a vampire unless the author felt there needed to be someone close to Anita who is not happy at all with the way she fraternizes with the "monsters."

Richard, her one-time were-wolf boyfriend, hates Anita and hates himself. I wish we could have seen more of his deterioration, it just seemed to happen.

I also thought the ending was rushed. There were things earlier in the book that could have been streamlined if book length was an issue, but things just wrapped up so nice and neat with the bad guy, it seemed that could have happened earlier, or it could have been more dramatic. It should have been more dramatic. Suddenly the bad guy got stupid. It didn't make sense that he could be taken out so easily at the end. I mean, you always know that Anita will get the bad guy (or bad girl) at the end, but this just wasn't very satisfying. I really thought it might carry over to the next book.

But ... I still like the books enough to keep reading. ( )
  jezebellydancer | Jul 5, 2021 |
pb
  5083mitzi | Apr 3, 2021 |
I really enjoy the Anita Blake series and I enjoyed this book as well. But it seemed too wordy at times I think, like where you'd sit there and go get on with it already. Anita is a little take but hardly any give in her relationships and that is getting kinda annoying. And her hang up with Richard is getting extremely annoying. It's like that saying hurt me once shame on you hurt me twice shame on me, but there won't be a thrice time. She should just cut her losses and try to salvage maybe a friendship but nothing more.

Richard, OMG what the hell is his deal, he is the most wa-wa'd person in the world....I think this whole morals taking over nature bit is getting tiresome. Richard needs to get over himself, he's not human anymore so quit having human values & morals and views because no matter what he does it's going to back fire on him tenfold.

I think it's awesome about the threesome thing she's got going on between her, Jean Claude, and Asher. it's about time I say on that Asher is just way too sexy.

Micah, I think he's too easy, he does everything Anita says and doesn't bitch about anything.

Anita truly should stay clear of Nate I think if she steps to far over that line, she's going to end up breaking his heart and I just love it that he is finally growing some balls, he really should grow some more and maybe further advance his character.

Real cute between Cherry and zane can we say AWWWWWWW?

Now Dolph that man is becoming psycho I mean yeah I get it his son is turning vamp and in love with a vamp and what not, but that doesn't mean he should take it out on everyone else out there in the paranormal world for what his son choses. I think he is being a jerk plain and simple. Dragging Anita around by the arm so she lands in the victims blood and god knows what else.

any rate I have my complaints but it was still a good book overall ( )
  hixxup79 | Feb 23, 2020 |
Okay, now we are moving into more sex but still a lot of story. Book full of twists and turns and fighting on more than one front. She weaves her threads so well. I get impatient with Anita's waffling. She makes a stand that causes all kinds of pain and ultimatums and not a day later backs away. I guess that is kinda like real life but it is a personal failing that can be way overused...like women using tears to control men. After a while, turning on the waterworks can be recognized as manipulation and ceases to work. Still, Cerulean was an enjoyable book.
Here I am rereading in 2018 and I still liked this book. Anita's homophobia bothered me. I know she doesn't think her reaction to the thought of Asher and Jean-Claude together is homophobia but it is to me...at least the way it is written. She is so clear headed in her job, in her responsibilities, in so many areas and in this one so blind. Ten books and she has not grown in this area at all...with all the inside knowledge of the true connection and love between JP and Asher and knowing they both need her so jealousy should not even be a factor and knowing that JP spent 100 years in hell to save Asher and she still holds to her selfish, irrational refusal to allow them relations. Maybe it is a plot device the writer cannot let go of but it makes me impatient with the character she wants as a hero, it makes me dislike the character intended to be the hero. I do not want to even think about Richard. It is like both main characters are retrogressing each in their own way...self destructive to the units they belong to, harming the power base out of sheer childish, whiny, self-indulgence. These are supposed to be leaders...hah...not my idea of a leader. Still, another book I stayed up late reading and not a line skipped. No skimming even the repetitive bits...I do understand that not everyone buys every book in a series and so the writer must make sure each book stands on its own. It is also true that the first time a collector reads through..it is not as noticeable as the eighth time. This book is listed as having been read by me two times...but that is only two times since I joined Goodreads. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To J., who says yes more than he says no; who never makes me feel like a freak, and who came up with the title for this book.
It was early September, a busy time of year for raising the dead.

Now, Anita learns what it's like to be at the new end of a centuries-old bloodline - and just how far she'll let herself get pushed around... How the mighty have fallen! Once a sworn enemy of all vampires, Anita is now the human consort of both Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire, and Micah, the leopard shapeshifter. But her love life doesn't stop there. It can't. For Anita - not quite as human as she once was - is consumed by both the lusts of the vampire and the primal hungers of the wereleopards. Desires that must be sated - time and time again... But it is Jean-Claude who needs her now. His oldest ancestor has sent one of her vicious and powerful underlings to St. Louis, putting Jean-Claude and his clan on the defensive. Unsure of where she stands with the interloper, Anita finds herself tested as never before - needing all the dark forces her passion can muster to save the ones she loves the most.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,462,350 books! | Top bar: Always visible