Jane and the Canterbury Tale: Being A Jane…

Jane and the Canterbury Tale: Being A Jane Austen Mystery (edition 2011)

by Stephanie Barron

Member:FHC
Title:Jane and the Canterbury Tale: Being A Jane Austen Mystery
Authors:Stephanie Barron
Info:Bantam (2011), Edition: Original, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Jane Austen etc,
Tags:austen-in-august, janeausten

Jane and the Canterbury Tale by Stephanie Barron

I just love these books! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Read again. Could remember Who Done It, but was better able to enjoy how we get there, because suspense no longer interfered. ( )
  adeeba_zamaan | May 1, 2016 |
There were plenty of "suspects" as it were - people with good reason to commit murder. It all made for good reading as the story went down one avenue after another. And I found myself going to the internet a few times to check my facts on Jane and her life, which makes the reading even more fun. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 15, 2016 |
My current Austen in August read, Being a Jane Austen Mystery !
Interestingly, published in August 2011, and always a welcome addition from author, Stephanie Barron..

THe morning after attending a neighbouring friend's home for a wedding ball, Jane is participant in a different type of party. Her nephews' shooting party discovery of a dead body. Jane's brother, being magistrate of the area, invites Jane's insights throughout the investigation to the chagrin of other less enlightened male characters. The story does much in revealing Jane's character strengths and relational wisdom as sister, aunt, and friend. All relevant characters are well described and our interest in them built as the story unfolds. All is not as it may seem at first glimpse, keeping the reader on their toes to ensure not being fooled by the next revelation!

Stephanie presents a wonderfully accurate to the era novel with excellent vocabulary and dialogue uncommon in today's JA reading market. Definitely above average in details and description, she keeps the pace moving without bogging this reader's interest down in non-essentials. Enough twists and "I wonder..." to keep the book close at hand for any possible spare reading moment!

Ready to read the first chapter!?

Thank you, Stephanie, for sharing your wealth of JA knowledge and your writing gift with avid Janeites!

posting to Cym Lowell's Book Review Linkup Wednesday" blog post... ( )
  FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
Takes a while to get into the this world of politeness, repressed drama disguised as civility but once one does the story lines are fascinating. Such a interesting time period and Barron does a great job portraying Jane Austen, her actions and observances. ( )
  Beamis12 | Sep 27, 2011 |

Stephanie Barronprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balderas, ChristineCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cunningham, CarolineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Connor, JenniferCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wednesday, 20 October 1813
Godmersham Park, Kent

"Ah, Miss Austen," cried Mr. Richard Tylden as he offered me a glass of claret this evening--most welcome, as the day had been exceedingly wet, and the crush of persons in the ballroom at Chilham Castle so great as to entirely prevent me approaching the fire--"It has been an age since we met!"
[Part of Jane's description of Chilham Castle]
All the principal rooms are to the rear, facing some twenty acres of gardens that fall away in gradual terraces below; Capability Brown had the original draughting of it, tho' later hands have struggled gamely to mar his work. (chapter 13)
[After her brother exclaims about the effrontery of the murderer regarding the murder weapon]
'Decidedly bad ton,' I soothed, 'but I do not see why you should deplore a murderer's poor taste, Edward. Surely few virtues may be expected in one who would shoot a man in cold blood?' (chapter 15)

The intrepid nineteenth-century writer investigates the suspicious death of a mysterious man at the wedding of Andrew MacAllister and Adelaide Fiske.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible