dismiss

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory…

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Cory Doctorow

The prophetic debut novel from the visionary author fo LITTLE BROTHER, now published for the first time in the UK. Jules is a young man barely a century old. He's lived long enough to see the cure for death and the end of scarcity, to learn ten languages and compose three symphonies ... and to realize his boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World. Disney World! The greatest artistic achievement of the long-ago twentieth century. Now overseen by a network of 'ad hocs' who keep the classic attractions running as they always have, enhanced with only the smallest high-tech touches. But the ad hocs are under attack. A new group has taken over the Hall of Presidents and is replacing its venerable audioanimatronics with new, immersive direct-to-brain interfaces that give guests the illusion of being Washington, Lincoln and all the others. For Jules, this is an attack on the artistic purity of Disney World itself. Worse: it appears that this new group has had Jules killed. This upsets him. (It's only his fourth death and revival after all.) Now it's war.… (more)
Member:j_aroche
Title:Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom
Authors:Cory Doctorow
Info:Tor Books (2003), Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:humor

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow (2003)

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: A darker, gritter take on downloadable consciousness and replacement bodies.
    Mine All Mine by Adam Davies (MonographicalyMe)
    MonographicalyMe: These titles share an interesting mix of the absurd and fantastical and the real challenges and natural quirks of human nature.
    Extras by Scott Westerfeld (lampbane)
    lampbane: Another look at the concept of a reputation economy, where wealth is measured by how famous a person is, and the main character desperately wants to stop being an "extra": just another face in the crowd.
    Truncat by Cory Doctorow (jshrop)
    Scroogled by Cory Doctorow (Liberuno)

English (94)  French (5)  Romanian (1)  All languages (100)
Out of every sci-fi movement that has come and gone, my absolute favorites are the glorious post-cyberpunk transhumanism movement. Can I have the application form now, please? Thanks to Charles Stross and Cory Doctorow, I get to be giddy on the tides of consciousness uploads and post-scarcity economics. Who said utopian fiction was dead? Please, oh please, give me MORE! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Strange futuristic story of mutiny at Disney among warring groups. I gave it to stars because of the imaginative story, not the story itself. The author had developed lifestyles and devices of the future. Very creative. But as a genr I do not like sci-fi. ( )
  LivelyLady | Feb 5, 2020 |
Its an interesting story of a future utopia. While the characters are well developed, I never really felt any investment in them. In a way, the story is kind of like a vacation trip where you meet some people and enjoy spending a few days with them, then go on your way knowing you'll probably neve see them again.

One of the things I found interesting about the story was how, even in this Utopian future, everyone still placed a high value on the basic tenants of the Disney experience. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
Future perspective after life conquer death by brain backup copying into a clone. The 'hero' is somewhat of a dushbag which depressed me while reading the book. I guess except for the more violent mistakes he makes in the story it reminded me of the kind of mistakes I tend to make myself. The use of social status as currency was an impressively effective underlie to the tail and shaped the society extensively, it suggest to me what bad can come of our every increasing personal social media exchanges including suicide. Although it also shows much in our society that can benefit from this intense peer pressure. ( )
  scottshjefte1 | Sep 6, 2019 |
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom takes place in a world where people no longer die, their conscience is simply rebooted into a clone when their original body is no longer usable, and instead of money currency is based on how popular you are.The story is about a man who has decided to live at the Magic Kingdom. He works in Liberty Square with a special interest in the Haunted Mansion. A turf war breaks out between different groups at the park, one that wants to renovate the older attractions in the direction of virtual reality and another that wants to preserve the old fashioned charm. I had a lot of expectations for this book and it fell a little short for me. I was waiting for more social commentary on the society, but it didn't really go in that direction. I also had a lot of hopes for the mystery in the story. I was waiting for a big twist or something that would make me say "wow, now I get it," but that never happened. Overall, I found it just OK. There was potential for a great story, but I don't feel like it lived up to that potential. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |

Cory Doctorowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Collica, MichaelDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Eshkar, ShelleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Folio SF (308)
I lived long enough to see the cure for death; to see the rise of the Bitchun Society, to learn ten languages; to compose three symphonies; to realize my boyhood dream of taking up residence in Disney World; to see the death of the workplace and of work.
You don't want to be a post-person. You want to stay human.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,600,477 books! | Top bar: Always visible