dismiss

Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in 12…

Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in 12 Simple Words (edition 2011)

by Brian D. McLaren

"Many people are stuck with an understanding of prayer that doesn't go beyond Sunday school memorizations and desperate petitions in time of need. Instead, Brian McLaren argues we should understand that prayer is to the soul what breathing is to the body; prayer is life-giving union with the Divine. McLaren offers new hope to those who are disillusioned by religious dogma and disheartened by unanswered prayers. This is a book for those who want to pray but don't know where to start, a how-to book on the spiritual practice of prayer. In Naked Spirituality, McLaren confronts how the church's traditional practices no longer work; in fact, they often serve to prevent the very transformation God is calling us to undergo. As a result, religion becomes a tool to maintain the status quo and not an instrument for getting us closer to living as citizens of heaven. McLaren offers twelve moves, or practices, that both connect us with God and free us to do the holistic work the gospel calls us to--to pray as well as save the planet; to worship as well as lift up the poor and needy. For many people, McLaren's agenda for spirituality will feel like a formula for the faith they always hoped for and what they always knew Christianity should be about. With his characteristic fresh voice and practical wisdom, McLaren has written a spiritual manual that goes beyond encouraging piety by offering spiritual transformation"--… (more)
Member:dennis.reasinger
Title:Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in 12 Simple Words
Authors:Brian D. McLaren
Info:Harper Collins, Inc. (2011), Kindle Edition, 288 pages
Collections:Finished Reading, eBooks
Tags:religion, spirituality, christian, faith, Kindle

Work Information

Naked Spirituality: A Life with God in 12 Simple Words by Brian D. McLaren

This is a thoughtful book that aims to help individuals get to the heart of what it means to be spiritual. It proposes stripping away, at least for a while, the trappings and symbols of organised religion, and letting go of our preconceived ideas, and focussing on twelve short words that can help us focus more clearly on God.

These words are divided into four groups, each representing a 'season' of our lives, which the author refers to as simplicity, complexity, perplexity and harmony. He suggests that most of us go through these, to some extent, many times in our lives (albeit not with the predictable regularity of the earth's seasons) and that by getting rid of the extraneous, we can find God in any circumstances, and when times are hard, find some motivation to keep going.

It's an introspective book, which suits my temperament quite well, and also somewhat heavy-going so that I only read about ten pages a day, often pausing to think as I read. I don't know that the specific words themselves are all that helpful right now; I'm not sure I could define any of the 'seasons' as a good match currently, but can see that this may be a book to return to in future.

Recommended to anyone feeling overwhelmed by life, or other people, or church in general. This is not about avoiding community or congregational activities, but about finding space and time for God on one's own, so as to enrich and focus life in general.
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
A thoughtful and insightful read - typical Brian McLaren- although I think I liked "A New Christianity" better. ( )
  BethieBear | Oct 6, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,992,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible