Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3) (original 1995; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:VividConfusion
Title:Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton (1995)

English (63)  French (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (66)
Circus of the Damned may have started off kinda sluggish and wary but it ended with excitement and more than a few surprises. Beyond the half-way point I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  thanbini | Jun 19, 2016 |

They say three times a charm; here all three were a charm, but it's a mark of a great, important new sub-plot that's born in this installment.

Richard, a powerful lycanthrope who from here on stays throughout the series as an important character, is introduced. This creates more havoc on the goal Jean-Claude has, as well as major changes in Anita's personality. This delicious sideline isn't explored more until the next book, but the introduction of it here is intriguing.

As always, the action kicks off in the first chapter, and the ending is another delightful show down between powerful creatures where it seems that nothing will be right again. As before, it ends with a depressing note between the lines, a sense of realism that's impossible to ignore when it's pushed right up in your face.

There's a great mystery on who hired Edward (another favorite character, the cold hit man you can't help but adore) to kill Jean-Claude, whether Jean-Claude will end up surviving, and what the other Master vampires in town want with our favorite necromancer.

Besides all this, Anita's personal life is being ran through the cleaners. More about her secret self and powers are explored, and as always the police work is dark, fascinating, and gore-laden. Jean-Claude's previous ambitions from Laughing Corpse are shown here more than ever - they have one or two truly steamy scenes that rocked my boat. With what happens at the end, the spark ignited by this series in my mind was lit even further. Powerful stuff.

Another A installment in the series. Read book 1 to 3 for a small slice of Anita Blake paradise. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
While helping the St. Louis Police investigate a pair of human murders carried out by an unknown vampire pack Anita Blake realizes that there is a new master vampire in the city. One that is intent on terrorizing the populace and challenging Jean-Claude as Master of the City. In a series of startling confrontations she finds out there are not one, but two such vampires. The first, Alejandro, was young when the Aztecs were spilling the blood of sacrifices. The other, Mr. Oliver, has roots that extend into time immemorial. Either vampire is powerful enough to challenge Jean-Claude, and neither has any intention of observing the uneasy truce between humans and the undead. Laurell K. Hamilton is a wonderful story teller who keeps the reader glued to the book with a wonderful style of action, suspence, humor and horror. Hamilton offers the reader a solid plot with many, many twists. Once you start reading Circus of the Damned, you'll have a hard time putting it down. Again be warned that there is LOTS of sex in all Laural K. Hamilton's books. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I am loving this series. I really enjoyed Jean-Claude being in this one a bit more. I have a love hate relationship with him though! I'm definitely looking forward to the next one! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Enter Richard... and now the vamp-girl-wolf triangle begins. (Anita was struggling with this long before Bella was thought of!)

I love love loved Richard in these early books... of course, I'm twenty books in now and have some serious issues with him, but that's neither here nor there. ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Ginger Buchanan, our editor, whose faith in Anita and patience with me has been most appreciated.
There was dried chicken blood imbedded under my fingernails.

"MOST WOMEN COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NO SINGLE, STRAIGHT MEN LEFT. I'D JUST LIKE TO MEET ONE THAT'S HUMAN"

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. I've dined with shapeshifters, danced with werewolves, and been wooed--but not won--by Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City.

And now a darkly dangerous vampire named Alejandro has hit town. He too wants me for his human servant. A war of the undead has begun. Over me.

I would be flattered. If my life weren't at stake.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134481, Mass Market Paperback)

The third novel of Hamilton's Anita Blake series has the petite necromancer fighting a giant cobra and a rogue vampire, Alejandro, who wants her for his human servant. Anita is still resisting the advances of Jean-Claude, St. Louis's master vampire, but she does need him on her side, if not in her bed. Anita's reluctant involvement in the odd goings-on at the supernatural Circus of the Damned introduces her to Richard, the werewolf of her dreams, and Larry, her powerful but nervous partner in zombie-raising.

Mystery fans will love the tightly plotted, Paretsky-esque action, and horror fans will love just about everything in this unusual series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

When a new vampire hits town, he, too, wants Anita, and a war of the undead ensues.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,134,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible