Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3) (original 1995; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

4,491None1,077 (3.93)45
Member:VividConfusion
Title:Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton (1995)

English (52)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (54)
I really like listening to these on audiobook. This book in the series had a lot going on, but not as interesting as the first 2. I will keep reading though. I love the sarcasm of Anita. ( )
  Ahnya | Jan 25, 2014 |
Hamilton continues her Anita Blake series with “Circus of the Damned”. Just when you think there couldn’t be anything else to add to her story of creatures, voodoo and urban terrorism you find out that there is more. With vampires nothing is easy and with a sarcastic, strong-minded heroine there is bound to be something interesting just a page turn away.

Blake continues her work with the police investing preternatural crimes while refusing to be made into a human servant by the Master of the City. Murder runs amok in St. Louis and, of course, Anita is caught up in it. Between Humans First, Humans Against Vampires, the vampires themselves, lycanthropes, lamias, werewolves, zombies and feuding master vampires this novel is filled with curiosities and gruesome deaths.

I have read several novels on vampires but never an urban “fantasy” series quite like Laurell Hamilton’s and her take on this world of creatures is both refreshing, gory and curious. Easy reads (I’ve averaged almost a book a day for these first 3) they are a truly unique reading experience. ( )
  JEB5 | Oct 30, 2013 |
I'm going back through and re-listening to the entire series, start to finish. I'm hoping to be done before the next book comes out. It'll be tight, but I think I can make it.

Circus is a great book. Which I love all the books with Edward in them. Death always brings fun to a party. We meet Richard in this book. Wow, I forgot he was a pain in the ass from the first moment. I think Anita should've walked away from him at the beginning. We also meet Larry for the first time. Talk about someone who is wet behind the ears. I've always liked Larry, but I think his morals are going to get him killed one day.

I love this series. This narrator is okay. I really didn't like her at first. The series started on audio with Narcissus in Chains (abridged, booooo) with Cynthia Holloway. Then with a different audio publisher, they've gone back and put all the old books on audio. The new girl has done all of those and the most recent books. I've gotten to where I'm okay with Kimberly Alexis, but I don't think she is as good as Cynthia Holloway. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
I give it a 3.5 because Laurell K. Hamilton really knows how to write an ending. She may not excel at other things, but dang. Her endings really are fabulous, and they leave you wanting more.

The problem is I -don't- really want more. For the majority of the book, I was pushing through it, groaning through silly clothing description and sighing as handsome male after handsome male swarmed around Anita Blake. The first two books in this series are so good, but now I'm starting to believe the people who told me it goes downhill. It's all just getting a tad ridiculous.

I may peek into the next book, or I may not. Because like I said, Laurell K. Hamilton really knows how to write a fabulous finale. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 7, 2013 |
Well… I not sure I’ll abandon the series just yet but I’m positive that this series is never going to get above a 3 Star. The writing is mediocre, and I’m liking Anita less than usual in this third book. I like my characters to be open minded or even just able to grow. Anita is not growing. I keep hoping she will. Sometimes I think there are some hints. Which I guess is why I’m still reading/listening. I’m hoping she will grow as a character. But the story itself seems to be growing, which is another reason I’m still reading. This third book trumps the first and second book. So maybe it’s a pattern. We’ll see. ( )
  Kassilem | Jul 21, 2013 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ginger Buchanan, our editor, whose faith in Anita and patience with me has been most appreciated.
There was dried chicken blood imbedded under my fingernails.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134481, Mass Market Paperback)

The third novel of Hamilton's Anita Blake series has the petite necromancer fighting a giant cobra and a rogue vampire, Alejandro, who wants her for his human servant. Anita is still resisting the advances of Jean-Claude, St. Louis's master vampire, but she does need him on her side, if not in her bed. Anita's reluctant involvement in the odd goings-on at the supernatural Circus of the Damned introduces her to Richard, the werewolf of her dreams, and Larry, her powerful but nervous partner in zombie-raising.

Mystery fans will love the tightly plotted, Paretsky-esque action, and horror fans will love just about everything in this unusual series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:42 -0400)

When a new vampire hits town, he, too, wants Anita, and a war of the undead ensues.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible