Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3) (original 1995; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:VividConfusion
Title:Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton (1995)

English (57)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (59)
Part of me wants to go back to this book and rewrite it so Anita never meets Richard. I don't like him one bit. I also love how Anita (being mostly human) gets involved in the whole thing at the end (sorry trying not to spoil). I do love Edward though. He's one of my favorite characters in this world. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
A group of vampires is attacking and killing humans and leaving them out for the police to find. They are more powerful than Jean-Claude as he can’t even tell they’re in town. One wants to make Anita his human servant. Humans First wants Anita to provide them with the resting place of the Master of the City, as does the oldest/most powerful vampire Anita has ever met. On a more personal note, Richard, a man who was hanging around with Jean-Claude, talks Anita into dating. She’s having trouble accepting why he’d want to, but says yes. And Animators, Inc gets a new animator.

Anita faces danger throughout the story from so many fronts, including something she didn’t know still existed. And if they can’t put a stop to the biggest threat, St Louis is going to become a vastly different place.

I’ve re-read this story a number of times over the years. It’s one of my favorites in the series partly because of the introduction of Richard, but mostly because of all of the action on how decisions Anita makes affects her life and the entire city. Anita knows more about vampires than most other humans, but she’s just now starting to learn a little about vampire politics, and how her refusal to accept that she’s Jean-Claude’s human servant is weakening his position.

A really strong kick butt heroine who has her own set of ethics and feels strongly about sticking to them. ( )
  dearheart | Nov 2, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this installment of the Anita Blake series. I loved the introduction of Richard. I can't wait to see how adding him into the mix plays out in the rest of the series. ( )
  trishaj | Oct 7, 2014 |
When I picked up this book, I was intrigued. The title really caught my attention, not to mention that its main character was a vampire HUNTER for a change. I should preface the rest of this by saying that I have not read the first books in the series but, because of the way this author seems to write, I really didn't need to. There didn't appear to be a lot of carry over. A few minor relationship or personal details that were either unimportant, or quite obvious to the point that you didn't even know there were other books.

Anyway, I started reading it, and it was starting to feel a little more like an adult version of Twilight. I know, I know, vampires are sexy beasts and they've been romanticized in literature basically making them sex symbols now. I get it. I really do, but do we HAVE to be reminded of it in EVERY book that contains a vampire? It's great that Anita is physically attracted to Jean-Claude, fantastic even, but do we have to hear about it whenever she meets him, both in person and in her dreams (Literally. He invades her dreams. Creeper).

All that aside, I liked the book for the most part. One thing that really bothered me though, was that we met Richard in the beginning, Anita plans a date with the guy, and then we don't hear about him again until almost the end of the book. Why bother at that point? He's not the only one, either. It happens with the guys at the police department and a few other characters too.

The ending surprised me. I'll leave it at that so I don't spoil it for anyone. ( )
  cebellol | Jul 22, 2014 |
I read this series a long time ago. I was hooked on book one. Captivated by book two, still interested in book 4 and then it turned in to "romance" novel status. Yes, I continued to read the rest of the series, I'll admit it. But the urban part was gone and it really was just fantasy. Hamilton took a great character with a ton of potential and turned her into a sex goddess with so many lovers, who could keep track. What happened to the short, crazy haired, black nike wearing Anita. In it's place a nymphomaniac arose and I just can't find the interest to check out the most recent novel. ( )
  NicolefromCarmel | May 5, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ginger Buchanan, our editor, whose faith in Anita and patience with me has been most appreciated.
There was dried chicken blood imbedded under my fingernails.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134481, Mass Market Paperback)

The third novel of Hamilton's Anita Blake series has the petite necromancer fighting a giant cobra and a rogue vampire, Alejandro, who wants her for his human servant. Anita is still resisting the advances of Jean-Claude, St. Louis's master vampire, but she does need him on her side, if not in her bed. Anita's reluctant involvement in the odd goings-on at the supernatural Circus of the Damned introduces her to Richard, the werewolf of her dreams, and Larry, her powerful but nervous partner in zombie-raising.

Mystery fans will love the tightly plotted, Paretsky-esque action, and horror fans will love just about everything in this unusual series.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:42 -0400)

When a new vampire hits town, he, too, wants Anita, and a war of the undead ensues.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,162,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible