Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire…

Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3) (original 1995; edition 2002)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:VividConfusion
Title:Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 3)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Jove (2002), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Circus Of The Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton (1995)

English (59)  French (1)  Czech (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (62)
Enter Richard... and now the vamp-girl-wolf triangle begins. (Anita was struggling with this long before Bella was thought of!)

I love love loved Richard in these early books... of course, I'm twenty books in now and have some serious issues with him, but that's neither here nor there. ( )
  BethanyMoore | May 13, 2016 |
In this third Anita Black novel, she meets a few more master vampires fighting for control over Saint Louis, gains a sidekick, and somehow manages to lose neither her job nor her life, though it's touch and go there for a while. Anita's a fun character with amusing asides in the narration, but I like how the monsters she deals with are unmistakeably that. Sure, she has some mixed feelings over the sexy Jean-Claude, but in general, vampires are shown to be the bloodsucking fiends they really are (as opposed to misunderstood pale pretty people). The violence and gore can be a bit much, pushing this further into the horror genre than strictly thriller, but I'm finding that I'm still mostly enjoying the series. I'll probably pick up the fourth book at some point.

A note on the audio: Kimberley Alexis is fantastic. I'd forgotten that these books have the occasional background music and sound effects (mostly gunshots), which confused me at first, but actually add to the ambiance, especially during the high-tension chase/fight scenes. ( )
  melydia | Apr 14, 2016 |
So far, this one is my favorite of the Anita Blake series. ( )
  bouldermimi | Jan 13, 2016 |
Part of me wants to go back to this book and rewrite it so Anita never meets Richard. I don't like him one bit. I also love how Anita (being mostly human) gets involved in the whole thing at the end (sorry trying not to spoil). I do love Edward though. He's one of my favorite characters in this world. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
A group of vampires is attacking and killing humans and leaving them out for the police to find. They are more powerful than Jean-Claude as he can’t even tell they’re in town. One wants to make Anita his human servant. Humans First wants Anita to provide them with the resting place of the Master of the City, as does the oldest/most powerful vampire Anita has ever met. On a more personal note, Richard, a man who was hanging around with Jean-Claude, talks Anita into dating. She’s having trouble accepting why he’d want to, but says yes. And Animators, Inc gets a new animator.

Anita faces danger throughout the story from so many fronts, including something she didn’t know still existed. And if they can’t put a stop to the biggest threat, St Louis is going to become a vastly different place.

I’ve re-read this story a number of times over the years. It’s one of my favorites in the series partly because of the introduction of Richard, but mostly because of all of the action on how decisions Anita makes affects her life and the entire city. Anita knows more about vampires than most other humans, but she’s just now starting to learn a little about vampire politics, and how her refusal to accept that she’s Jean-Claude’s human servant is weakening his position.

A really strong kick butt heroine who has her own set of ethics and feels strongly about sticking to them. ( )
  dearheart | Nov 2, 2014 |

Laurell K. Hamiltonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To Ginger Buchanan, our editor, whose faith in Anita and patience with me has been most appreciated.
There was dried chicken blood imbedded under my fingernails.

"MOST WOMEN COMPLAIN THAT THERE ARE NO SINGLE, STRAIGHT MEN LEFT. I'D JUST LIKE TO MEET ONE THAT'S HUMAN"

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. I've dined with shapeshifters, danced with werewolves, and been wooed--but not won--by Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire of the City.

And now a darkly dangerous vampire named Alejandro has hit town. He too wants me for his human servant. A war of the undead has begun. Over me.

I would be flattered. If my life weren't at stake.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515134481, Mass Market Paperback)

The third novel of Hamilton's Anita Blake series has the petite necromancer fighting a giant cobra and a rogue vampire, Alejandro, who wants her for his human servant. Anita is still resisting the advances of Jean-Claude, St. Louis's master vampire, but she does need him on her side, if not in her bed. Anita's reluctant involvement in the odd goings-on at the supernatural Circus of the Damned introduces her to Richard, the werewolf of her dreams, and Larry, her powerful but nervous partner in zombie-raising.

Mystery fans will love the tightly plotted, Paretsky-esque action, and horror fans will love just about everything in this unusual series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0400)

When a new vampire hits town, he, too, wants Anita, and a war of the undead ensues.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,899,175 books! | Top bar: Always visible