Just Because by Rebecca Elliott

Just Because (edition 2010)

by Rebecca Elliott (Author)

Member:ctran1
Title:Just Because
Authors:Rebecca Elliott (Author)
Info:Lion Hudson (2010), Edition: New edition, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, k-3, disabilities

Just Because by Rebecca Elliott

Just Because is a cute story of a little brother named Toby and his relationship with his older sister Clemmie. It is shown from the start that his sister Clemmie cannot walk or talk but the book describes all her likes, dislikes and the adventures they have together through Toby's eyes. The book is shows her brother accepting Clemmie for who she is, and that she is his best friend so he shares everything with her. I loved how Toby thought of his sister just like anyone else, and that nothing was different about her. ( )
  Nattamari | Nov 11, 2018 |
This story is narrated from the perspective of a younger brother who talks about his special bond with his older sister Clemmie, who is different from most. Clemmie sits in a wheel chair, and she doesn't talk or move much. I loved how the story was written from the perspective of the brother, just because we as readers get to see how a child thinks. In the story, the brother says that Clemmie has a cool chair, and they venture off to the moon on it. I love the creativity, and I love how this book doesn't show any negativity towards what Clemmie cannot do, but rather what she can do. ( )
  ctran1 | Nov 8, 2018 |
The story shows the relationship between siblings where one child has a disability. I think the book is a good introduction for younger children who are learning what it means to have a sibling with a disability. The child does not see their sibling as weird or different instead they embrace their sibling and love them for who they are.
  brittanilandry | Aug 23, 2018 |
About a brother and his sister who has a disability. It talks about how she's different, but different isn't a bad thing.
Ages: 3-5
Source: Pierce County Library
  Rebecca1597 | Mar 17, 2018 |
The little boy in this book has a disabled older sister. It talks about how they bond and play together. They are best friends.
Age- 3-5
Source- Pierce College Fort Steilacoom Library ( )
  JodieHarris | Mar 6, 2018 |
For Clemmie and Toby - my little muses.
My big sister Clemmie is my best friend.

Great story about a brother and a sister in a wheelchair and how they help each other out and love each other unconditionally

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074596267X, Hardcover)

Amusing and often touching, this story encompasses the issue of disability in a charming celebration of sibling friendship to which all children can relate

My big sister Clemmie is my best friend. She can’t walk, talk, move around much, cook macaroni, pilot a plane, juggle or do algebra. I don’t know why she doesn’t do these things. Just because.

A younger brother describes all the fun he has with the big sister he loves so much—just because, in this heartwarming picture book about being perfectly loved, no matter what. He is enthusiastic about just how loving and special she is, and delights in telling us about all the fun things they do together. Only as his tale unfolds does the reader begin to realize that his sister has special needs—and by then the reader just accepts, as he does, all the wonderful things about her. Teachers and librarians will appreciate this book for its sincere and convincing treatment of children with special needs, while parents will use this book to encourage sibling friendship and to read with children who are beginning to ask why a particular child they know is "different."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

"A younger brother describes all the fun he has with the big sister he loves so much just because. He is enthusiastic about just how loving and special she is, and delights in telling us about all the fun things they do together. Only as his tale unfolds does the reader begin to realize that his sister has special needs and by then the reader just accepts, as he does, all the wonderful things about her. Teachers and librarians will appreciate this book for its sincere and convincing treatment of children with special needs, while parents will use this book to encourage sibling friendship and to read with children who are beginning to ask why a particular child they know is "different"--Publishers description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible