Olivia: Manchmal kommt das Glück von…

Olivia: Manchmal kommt das Glück von ganz allein

by Jowi Schmitz

+ 10 (1) 2011 (1) ab 10 (1) afscheid (1) boot (1) ecat2 (1) family (1) family ties (1) fiction (2) friends (1) geb. 1972 (1) kind (1) land: Nederland (1) Luchs (1) Niederländerin (1) parents (1) Schmitz (1) school (1) Tod (2) Trauer (1) Verlust (1) weg (1) woman (1) Young Adult book (2) youth (1)

Dutch (2)  English (2)  All languages (4)
Olivia's mother has died and she is waiting for her in the form of an urn. It has to be mailed because her father and her moved to another town leaving her Grandma and Grandpa who think her father is very immature (which he is) behind. But it's only temporary. She doesn't need any friends especially not Sasha the boy everyone makes fun of or needs to worry about Milena and her friends teasing her or her not being able to live in a boat in the backyard of her dad's barbershop. It's only temporary after all.

Olivia's story is one I've come across plenty of times. Well not as quite as unique as her situation but a parent-dying-and-trying-to-pick-up-the-pieces type of story. She hasn't really let it out and let herself cry even though they are a "tolerant family." That right there and other things make the book really weird to me. Her father is always crying and I'm always thinking how the mother didn't get frustrated with him and yell at him because he acts just like a kid. And I mean JUST like a kid.

A lot of the story was a bit odd to me like it shouldn't be for someone in Elementary (well maybe fifth grade) more like Middle School but I still found it enjoyable at times like Sasha was an interesting part of it. I just wish I could have had more... I knew right away what was going on and don't like when that happens. I rather be surprised when the protagonist is but that's just me. All in all it was a nice read about a girl letting go.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
Olivia has lost her mom, and she and her father have moved to a new town. Olivia's father, who's always been somewhat immature, has a hard time dealing with the loss. They currently live in a boat in the backyard of the barber shop her father works in.
The book is set in the Netherlands, which makes in a bit more interesting. Olivia tries to deal with the changes in her life--sometimes successfully(enrolling in school); sometimes not so successfully(never washing her hair).
All in all this is an enjoyable read but nothing special. ( )
  bksgoddess | Apr 3, 2013 |

Olivia is ten years old. Her first big problem is that her mother has died. The second big problem is that her father doesn't really know how to go on living.

Olivia and her father's home is a small boat sitting in the garden of a barbershop. "Temporarily," says her dad. But how long is "temporarily?" Olivia is in a new community, going to a new school, and has to figure out on her own how to grow up with the new normal of no mother and a father who is physically present but psychologically distant.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,097,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible