Revolution World by Katy Stauber

Revolution World

by Katy Stauber

I was so disappointed in this book.

I got it for a good price (5 or 6$ from Baen’s ebook library), and it seemed like it would be an awesome book. It’s in Texas! As a former Texan, I
It was silly, but not silly enough. Or if it were trying to give some sort of message (and it felt like it was) it was sloppily done.

In the future, society has collapsed, and not from the usual suspects of war or other disasters, but from something just as plausible - the collapse of agriculture and the weather through the use of large agribusiness’s genetically modified crops. Malsanto (really? Is that the best name you could think of? Try, for gods’ sakes, try!!) is a large evil agri-corp who is trying to beg/steal/threaten secrets from a small, very successful altruistic gen-mod company in small town Texas. Big security-tech company also moves in, looking to set up an off-site storage branch, and they team up with the girls from the gen-mod company. The military of the Grand Ole Patriot Acting U S of A get involved (with Malsanto) to threaten, steamroll and generally Guantanamo everyone involved into giving up secrets and products.

There’s something of a geeky romance going on, which was OK, not thrilling, not new, but not terribly done.

It could have been rip roaringly fun, but it wasn’t quite there. I’m not surprised to see that it’s this author’s first go. The book is unfocused and rather bloated. There was also a problem with editing (wrong pronouns, etc.). The characters and locale/society are well developed, and there was a lot of potential, this book just didn’t quite get there.

The Pomeranians were cute, though. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
I was so disappointed in this book.

The Pomeranians were cute, though. ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
I had a lot of fun reading Revolution World. The author calls it a "beach read for nerds", and I think that's a perfect description. It's a funny, wildly imaginative story full of fire-breathing cows, ninja pomeranians, giant attack bunnies, and a sweetly awkward nerd romance. (Gotta love it when to show their love, the bioengineering whiz creates superintelligent ninja guard dogs (the aforementioned pomeranians) for her computer geekboy, while the geekboy is busy coding algorithms to spoof satellites so the evil government can't spy on her!) You'll want to read this one close to a fridge, or maybe in a bbq joint; it's got a plethora of mouthwatering descriptions of Texan home cooking. Fair warning: for those like me who aren't fond of 3rd-person omniscient POV with rapid head-hopping, brace yourself. But for me, the sheer exuberance of the story outweighed any quibbles with style. ( )
  CourtneySchafer | Jul 13, 2011 |

"Set in a near-future, post-ecological, and post-economic collable, Revolution World chronicles the romance between rogue genetic engineer Clio Somata and martial artist, computer programmer Seth Boucher. Sadly, the road to love is never easy...in this case, an overreaching US military establishment and an evil multinational bioengineering firm have decided that they want what Clio and her family has: cutting-edge biotechnology. The conflict between the Somata clan and the US government becomes the catalyst that drives a bunch of libertarian Texan gamers to revolt against the oppressive US government, kicking off a new Texas Revolution!"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,764,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible