So Silver Bright

by Lisa Mantchev

Series: Théâtre Illuminata (3)

Bertie thinks that to complete her quest to have a true family she need only reunite her father, the Scrimshander, with her mother, Ophelia, but complications arise and she is torn between her responsibilities and the dream of flying free, just as she is torn between Nate and Ariel.

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
I did enjoy this book (except the tears! keep a tissue close!). It wasn't as funny as the first two, but it did have its moments, and the story is just as well-written as [b:Eyes Like Stars|3817859|Eyes Like Stars (Théâtre Illuminata, #1)|Lisa Mantchev|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1312231039s/3817859.jpg|3862155] and [b:Perchance to Dream|7179686|Perchance to Dream (Théâtre Illuminata, #2)|Lisa Mantchev|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1317792140s/7179686.jpg|7652031], but the books truly are a trilogy and can not be read as stand-alone books. I read the first two books back-to-back, but that was months ago, and I don't remember all the details. Many past events are alluded to, but not recapped, in the third book, so you'll want to read all three books together so you're not lost. I don't have time right now, but at some point, I'll have to reread all three. (Not my favorite plan, as I don't like to reread books, but I'll get more enjoyment out of So Silver Bright when I know what happened previously.)

As for the actual story, I was blown away when a character mentioned that they had only been away from the Theatre for a little over a week! I guess I just supposed that with everything going on, it had been a few months. There is also a little time-travelling going on, and there are a couple time paradoxes of the sort that always freak me out a little. ( )
  amandabeaty | Jan 4, 2024 |
This is not a stand-alone book, do not read it before the other two like I did. I found it very confusing, and the parts that tried to be whimsical just felt annoying. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Not the ending I expected. Not the ending I wanted.
So, this book actually took me awhile to read. I think it was five days. Being someone who usually reads a book a day, this is nearly unprecedented.
Not that it was boring or slow or hard to read. I think it was mostly because I was distracted. But whatever.
More fairy hijinks in this book.
Okay, so the thing about this book: the title, her hair, everything basically, was pointing to Bertie ending up with Ariel. This was a cause of great happiness for me, as I love Ariel.
And, at the ending, I suppose she did choose Ariel, in a way. it was very profound. It was very deep. But by no means a happily ever after.
And then, there was a tad more after she chose-Ariel-in-a-way. Kind of, this story is over but it’s not the end kind of ending.
It was a good ending. It wrapped everything up, broke my heart a little, and left it open-ended in a way that indicates the story is over, but it’s not the end of the character’s lives (not all of them, anyway).
And that is my definition of a good ending.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
I have mixed feelings about this book. On one hand, the faeries continue to be delightful, and the dialogue in the novel is witty and fun as ever. On the other hand, the story was all over the place. I had a really difficult time following the plot, and figuring out exactly what Bertie was trying to do in this one. There were so many loose ends that it seems like the author was trying to tidy up, that she kept switching directions and it got confusing at times.

All and all, this was delightful to read, but I had a hard time focusing. It does not rate is high is the previous two books in the trilogy, but I'm glad I finished it.

Honestly? The faeries themselves made the read worthwhile! :-) Few books make me laugh as often as this trilogy has! ( )
  Morteana | Aug 22, 2017 |
Such an imaginative trilogy!
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |

Lisa Mantchevprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chan, JasonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,005,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible