Emma is Jess's little sister ... and her dilemma. How can one small girl be sweet, funny, imaginative, playful, and affectionate as well as a clinging vine, brat, tattletale, and nuisance-all at the same time? Why is Jess supposed to be a good big sister while Emma doesn't have to be a good little sister? The highlights and low points of this sibling relationship are insightfully evoked in short and simple poems, some funny, some touching, and all resonant with emotional truth. Every child with a younger sibling will recognize Jess's dilemma and the combination of ambivalence and deep loyalty that is built into the sibling relationship. Nancy Carpenter's graceful illustrations perceptively complement Kristine O'Connell George's agile poems.… (more)

The poems in this book are written from the perspective of a big sister about her relationship with her little sister. The poems describe how annoying little sisters can be, what great friends they can be, how unfair it is to be a big sister sometimes, and that accidents happen. Each poem is unique to its own little story that tells this journey of the love and I'm so annoyed with you relationship between sisters.
  RachaelBunch | May 8, 2018 |
This book is written in first person, through Jess' eyes. She has a younger sister Emma who she calls her Dilemma. This story goes over many of the aspects of their relationship and the feelings that jess has towards her younger sister. She portrays Emma as annoying, clingy and wonders why everyone asks her if she is a good big sister but no one ever ask Emma if she is a good sister.
  Couwest | Mar 14, 2018 |
Each poem is told from the perspective of the big sister, Jessica, and her relationship with her little sister, Emma, who idolizes and annoys her big sister. The poems are laugh out loud funny and poignantly vary between annoyances, sisterly love, and shared childhood experiences. ( )
  katie.greenfield | Nov 27, 2017 |
I originally picked this book because I have two girls and my oldest is quite mean to her little sister at the moment. She finds her annoying and can't seem to get past how annoying she is. I'm hoping by reading these poems I can make her realize the benefits to having a sister! I would also use it in the classroom when discussing families. Most students would be able to relate the book in some way and I imagine it would bring up interesting conversations.
  jschuttenhelm | Nov 17, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book, as I myself, have an older and younger sister. I like the way it makes the younger sister look so annoying and then, by the end the older sister realizes that she needs to accept her younger sister and be a good role model for her because the younger sister only wants to be more like her.
  Cara_M | Jun 11, 2017 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,000,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible