Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir

by Steven Tyler

Other authors: David Dalton

The frontman of the classic rock band Aerosmith tells his story, including his rise to rock stardom in the 1970s, the band's drop in popularity, and their comeback in the late 1980s and 1990s.

Well, that was a terribly ADHD, non-linear memoir! Not that I expected more, but, well, maybe I did. It was very Steven Tyler, but a little more from A to B to C might have helped.

I'm not a real big Aerosmith fan, but when a friend loaned me this book I thought it would be pretty entertaining. I do like some Aerosmith songs, they are catchy and fun. This book did entertain. There were some funny parts and some sad parts. And all the while you are watching a train wreck. When that train derails, its gonna be one massive, gruesome, bloody accident.

So, questions arise. I wanted him to discuss meeting Liz when she's a teen, after finding out Steven Tyler is her dad. And what did his patents think of all of this? He stops mentioning them at some point. Does he hate his band members at the end of this book? Do they hate HIM?

I don't think less or more of Steven Tyler. He came across as I expected. The drug addiction, sad. The sex addiction? Sad, yes, but more disturbing than the drugs and alcohol. Okay, he has zero self control as far as girls. Some men are like that. He has a problem with women NOT understanding that. I don't even know what to say about that. I guess I can say I wouldn't date him and at least he's honest and not hypocritical. I did read some of this to my husband. He found his escapades pretty amusing.

Big ego, Big, big ego. That's why he's who he is. He's in his own world, he is his world. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Wow. A walk through the psychedelic mind of song writer, musician, rock star Steven Tyler. Astonishing stamina. Interesting and unique perspective on a unique man. Not badly written and holds attention. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Wow. Okay. The title of this autobiography should be taken as a warning, or at least seriously considered by anyone thinking of reading Steven Tyler in his own words (I'm not sure how much Rolling Stone writer David Dalton contributed to making sense of the past, but I would hate to read the unedited version!) Tyler is everything you would expect of the 'Demon of Screamin' and more, way way more, but I will admit to skimming through some of his random ranting. A talented musician and an extraordinary frontman no doubt, but I would hate to be stuck in a lift with the guy.

'Fucked-up voices with a ton of character - that's my idea of a great voice', Tyler writes, and that's how I would rank him personality wise too, up there with his idol Janis Joplin, only somehow the Aerosmith singer is still going 70 years on. Descended from Italian immigrant musicians and a pianist father, Steven Tyler has music in the blood, and his band, Aerosmith, came about the old-fashioned way, formed after various failed line-ups and then working their way up from school auditoriums and small clubs to becoming a successful 'multiplatinum band with four albums in the space of three years'. Tyler is a singer-songwriter who seems to truly understand music, often riding the others in the band - guitarist Joe Perry and the LI3 (Least Interesting 3, Joey Kramer, Brad Whitford and Tom Hamilton) - to the point where I wanted to punch him on their behalf. At least he admits to being a knob with 'Lead Singer Disease', though! Tyler also plays drums, piano and harmonica, so he's not just sound and fury. Or at least he wasn't.

What the band is most famous for, however, is addiction. As he says, 'For the whole of the seventies, we were all nicely fucked-up and deep-friend'. Would they have been a better band for longer without the drugs and drink, or did that lifestyle make them who they are? After reading Steven's biography, I'm not sure. At least they're still going, forty years on, bar a few epic break-ups and stints in rehab.

Should you take what Steven can recall of his past with a pinch of salt? Probably. 'Everybody likes to overblow their past, including me—to squeeze out the relevance of what may or may not
have really taken place', he says, including refuting certain claims in the memoirs of his bandmates and past wives and girlfriends. There are two sides to every story, I suppose, and at least Steven is talking about his own life and not waiting for some moneygrubbing 'biographer' to do so for him. He's very proud of his biggest hit, Dream On (admittedly my favourite song too), and repeats himself a lot, but Mr Tyler is definitely entertaining with a unique narrative voice. Worth a read. If you dare. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Dec 28, 2018 |
I don't really know if it's fair to write a review of a book I only read 19 pages of, but I'm going to anyway.

I know Steven Tyler is a bit odd. He's entitled to that, with a 40 year career in music, having gone through drug addiction and all that sort of lifestyle. But, that does not mean that I'm going to suffer through horrible transitions and prose that's all over the place. It's like talking to someone who's manic depressive when they're going through a manic episode.

And the random capitalization of words? Annoying. This isn't a computer chat room. You don't have to use all caps to get your point across. Italicization is more subtle. But, I forgot, Steven Tyler probably doesn't know the meaning of subtle.

There are nice stories about growing up in the 50's but they are juxtaposed with stories of him being left out by the side of a summer house as a young child and being dragged off into the woods by a fox....

Um? Ok then. What does that have to do with anything?

I honestly don't know what I was expecting out of this book but I'm glad I didn't spend anymore time on it than I did. ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
This autobiographical account of Tyler's life is very illuminating, and brutally honest about what drugs do to a person's life. and what the celebrity lifestyle is really like. at times it is a bitter pill to swallow, and other chapters you sail through faster than a 30 second song. All in all it was a delightful read that allowed me into the mind of one of my favorite musicians. ( )
  thebacklistbook | Mar 20, 2018 |

Steven Tylerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dalton, Davidsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
If you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. If you're a singer, every thing looks like a song.
To the loving memory and spirit of Susan Rey Blancha Tallarico
Life is short.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,387,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible