Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler
Doro is an entity who changes bodies like clothes, killing his hosts by reflex--or design. He fears no one--until he meets Anyanwu. Anyanwu has also died many times. She can absorb bullets and make medicine with a kiss, give birth to tribes, nurture and heal, and savage anyone who threatens those she loves. She fears no one--until she meets Doro. From African jungles to the colonies of America, Doro and Anyanwu weave together a pattern of destiny that not even immortals can imagine.… (more)
Member:David_David_Katzman
Title:Wild Seed
Authors:Octavia E. Butler (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2001), 320 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:*****

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Clay's Ark by Octavia E. Butler (aaronius)
    aaronius: If you liked Wild Seed but don't necessary want to jump into other novels in the series, this is a short but great alternative by the same author with equally interesting characters and themes.
    The Silent City by Elisabeth Vonarburg (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Wild Seed takes place in the past while The Silent City explores a post-apocalyptic future. Thematically, however, they are eerily similar. Vonarburg and Butler share similar sensibilities.
    Bones Become Flowers by Jess Mowry (thesmellofbooks)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (thesmellofbooks)

English (54)  Dutch (1)  All languages (55)
I have no idea how to rate this-- it feels oddly formless. I did love the side note that when Anyanwu makes herself a male body, she can get women pregnant but only with female children (because she can only contribute X chromosomes). Attention to detail for the win.

Returning to this review several days later, and having read the rest of the Seed to Harvest set, the beauty of the writing and the depth of the ideas really strikes me. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |
How do you claim your own power, maintain a sense of autonomy over your life, when you face someone with greater power? This is Anyanwu's struggle in her relationship with Doro. Both are seemingly immortal - but what eternal life on this planet has affected each of them in very different ways. Doro is portrayed as a killer and Anyanwu a healer. Are these gender stereotypes, or truths about how society has molded us? ( )
  Zaiga | Sep 23, 2019 |
This was one of the most disturbing, uncomfortable books I have ever read, because it goes so deep into dehumanisation by those who wield power. And yet I finished it in a week because the key characters and the strange world Butler set up were so compelling. ( )
  eldang | Sep 18, 2019 |
  eldang | Aug 11, 2019 |
It was time to dip back into one of Butler's dark and difficult worlds of power in relationships, racism and slavery. This one throws in immortality, eugenics and history. I decided to read this series (Patternmaster) in chronological order instead of order written and it will be interesting to see the contrasts. The characters in this one were frightening and fascinating and I can't wait to see how their crazy experiments turn out. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Butler, Octavia E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlowe, WayneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Arthur Guy
To Ernestine Walker
To Phyllis White for listening.
Doro discovered the woman by accident when he went to see what was left of one of his seed villages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,306,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible