Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Wild Seed (edition 1999)

by Octavia E. Butler

Doro is an entity who changes bodies like clothes, killing his hosts by reflex--or design. He fears no one--until he meets Anyanwu. Anyanwu has also died many times. She can absorb bullets and make medicine with a kiss, give birth to tribes, nurture and heal, and savage anyone who threatens those she loves. She fears no one--until she meets Doro. From African jungles to the colonies of America, Doro and Anyanwu weave together a pattern of destiny that not even immortals can imagine.… (more)
Member:anderlawlor
Title:Wild Seed
Authors:Octavia E. Butler
Info:Aspect (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler

Clay's Ark by Octavia E. Butler (aaronius)
    aaronius: If you liked Wild Seed but don't necessary want to jump into other novels in the series, this is a short but great alternative by the same author with equally interesting characters and themes.
    The Silent City by Elisabeth Vonarburg (Sarasamsara)
    Sarasamsara: Wild Seed takes place in the past while The Silent City explores a post-apocalyptic future. Thematically, however, they are eerily similar. Vonarburg and Butler share similar sensibilities.
    Bones Become Flowers by Jess Mowry (thesmellofbooks)
    More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (thesmellofbooks)

English (61)  Dutch (1)  All languages (62)
First time reading this! Butler is so good. This has lots going on; as always with Butler there is much here about power and agency, sex and race and community. And, like usual when I read Butler, I'm left uneasy—she doesn't make things morally easy for the reader. Brilliantly written, her style is invisible. Think Galactic discussed this just after the Le Guin documentary had come out, and it was kind of jaw-dropping to think about this as coming from the early '80s—nothing against Le Guin or other SF writers of the time, but I can't think of anything that feels this fresh almost four decades later. ( )
  jakecasella | Sep 21, 2020 |
As a teen I read [b:Mind of My Mind|116254|Mind of My Mind (Patternmaster, #2)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389676159s/116254.jpg|111957] and [b:Patternmaster|116256|Patternmaster (Patternmaster, #4)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389456750s/116256.jpg|1119636] but never read Wild Seed or [b:Clay's Ark|60933|Clay's Ark (Patternmaster, #3)|Octavia E. Butler|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1389456749s/60933.jpg|1008173] from the same series. Now is my chance to rectify this oversight. Amazon is selling all 4 as a single Kindle book for $9.99 -- highly recommended!

Wild Seed is not as good as other books in the series but an interesting read nonetheless. ( )
  CatherineMachineGun | Jul 31, 2020 |
So enjoyable! Great writing, well defined characters, and a compelling narrative. Darwin would be proud of Doro, and his interest in genetics. Of course, Ella (as we are now calling her) does the same without the messy business of killing everything in site. It's also about abusive relationships and that whole slavery thing. Onward to book #2! ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
Well this one didn't work for me at all. The only saving grace is that it was short. I loved/liked Octavia Butler's other books and this one just made my skin crawl. Reading about almost immortal beings named Anyanwu and Doro through 288 pages of their dysfunction was a little much for me honestly.

When Doro comes across Anyanwu (Sun Woman) he is happy to finally meet someone that he thinks can help him with his quest to breed the perfect children. Though Anyanwu is hesitant to be with Doro, she decided that she is tired of being alone more and watching her descendants die along with her husbands. Too late she realizes that Doro is a cruel being who doesn't care about people at all except to make sure that they do his bidding in all things.

They travel from Africa to the New World (America) and are able to change their bodies, color of their skin, and even their sex. I wish that Butler had these two stay African and have to deal with the problems their skin color would have living in the Americas, but that is quickly skated over by people saying how afraid of Doro they are and Doro and his villages are quickly left alone.

I also felt frustrated by Anyanwu since she is really just Doro's doormat. She keeps making all these concessions thinking it is going to keep her children safe and nothing she is doing does that. Doro is cruel and has caused her pain over and over again and she is in a love/hate relationship with him. I thought it was gross how Doro was forcing Anywanwu to breed with who he said since he wanted children off of her. I kept hoping someone would kill Doro.

The writing was good, I just lost interest in it after a while. This is not another Xenogenesis series where you can see the debates about consent going back and forth and gray areas. There is just simply Doro being awful and getting away with it for centuries.

The flow was upside down too though. Nothing goes on forever it seems besides reading about how Doro is trying to breed people and then we come to an end which I assume sets up the next book in the series. I plan on skipping that. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Well, that was somber
breeding your kids like livestock
just faithful meat sacks. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |

Butler, Octavia E.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barlowe, WayneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flynn, DannyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Palencar, John JudeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Platten, WillTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Arthur Guy
To Ernestine Walker
To Phyllis White for listening.
Doro discovered the woman by accident when he went to see what was left of one of his seed villages.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,701,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible