Washington's Crossing (Pivotal Moments in…

Washington's Crossing (Pivotal Moments in American History) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by David Hackett Fischer (Author)

Six months after the Declaration of Independence, America was nearly defeated. Then on Christmas night, George Washington led his men across the Delaware River to destroy the Hessians at Trenton. A week later Americans held off a counterattack, and in a brilliant tactical move, Washington crept behind the British army to win another victory. The momentum had reversed.… (more)
Member:aberocka
Title:Washington's Crossing (Pivotal Moments in American History)
Authors:David Hackett Fischer (Author)
Info:Oxford University Press (2006), Edition: Reprint, 576 pages

Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer (2004)

nonfiction (history--Revolutionary War). Great narrative reading. I still have trouble absorbing all of the battle/tactical information, but it is getting easier, and DHF does a nice job with incorporating the humanity of the soldiers and officers through inclusion of their personal letters and writings--I especially remember and appreciate the intro (about the famous painting and its history, as well as how it may or may not be inaccurate) or the concluding chapter. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
This was good, even very good, but not "fantastic" in the way it seemed to be hyped up. There's a bit of "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!" to the whole thing that I find a bit off-putting, but maybe that's just me. ( )
  dmmjlllt | Nov 10, 2018 |
Great story telling ( )
  ibkennedy | May 13, 2017 |
This book was selected in my top three books for the first quarter of 2012.

Why study history? What does it matter to me? Because it shows the contingency in events that unfold in time and place. The book explores the author's viewpoint on a contingency in history; "people making choices, and choices making a difference in the world."363. The choices were made from what the participants felt about the events that were unfolding. The Brits viewed the rebels as a bunch of yeoman farmers. The Americans viewed the British as an enormous dinosaur that did not know its tail form its nose.

Had Washington not been General? Had General Charles Lee not been captured? (Lee would have stalled Washington from crossing the river, as he was the typical overcautious general.) Had the Hessian Forces and Brits not been overconfident? Had a woman not kept the Hessian General at home, instead of in his key position on the battle front? Then the American Story would have been quit different.

The book was great in displaying the way that Washington's Story was told by different authors with different purposes. He shows with honesty how the facts can be skewed to prove the point of any political platform. Before reading this book I always believed that the Hessian Army was drunk when Washington attacked it. From the facts assembled this has proven to be not true. But somewhere the myth has replaced the facts. We now believe that the Hessian Army was a bunch of drunken dolts.

I loved this book. I discovered a lot about this event that I did not know before. He writes in a way that is truly a pleasure to read.

The only draw back was that on my kindle the maps were hard to read. But that is what they created magnifying glass for. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
This book was selected in my top three books for the first quarter of 2012.

Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |
Fischer has devised a storytelling technique that combines old and new methods in a winning way.

At the core of an impeccably researched, brilliantly executed military history is an analysis of George Washington's crossing of the Delaware River in December 1776 and the resulting destruction of the Hessian garrison of Trenton and defeat of a British brigade at Princeton.
added by readysetgo | editPublishers Weekly (Jan 12, 2004)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,237,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible