dismiss

All Gall is Divided: Aphorisms

by E. M. Cioran

Romanian-born E.M. Cioran moved to Paris at the age of 26, remaining there nearly six decades until his death in 1995. He was called "a sort of final philosopher of the Western world" and "the last worthy disciple of Nietzsche"; the bleak aphorisms of All Gall Is Divided make a strong case for either appellation. "With every idea born in us," he declares early on, "something in us rots." Throughout the book, he addresses the futile attempts of man to impose meaning on a meaningless existence--"That there should be a reality hidden by appearances is, after all, quite possible; that language might render such a thing would be an absurd hope"--and nurses an ongoing fascination with the possibilities death holds for release from life's madness. (When the Dead Kennedys sang, "I look forward to death / This world brings me down," they might as well have been taking notes from Cioran.) Grim stuff, but presented in brilliant, crystalline form--particularly in the translation by Richard Howard, which retains Cioran's cold, detached viewpoint.… (more)

English (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (5)
Enigmatic insights
Pessimistic and peculiar wisdom from the pen of E. M. Cioran.
Sardonic depth is relentlessly present: I often find myself ruminating on one of his sentences for several minutes attempting to grasp the subtlety of his thinking.
All Gall Is Divided is an engrossing collection of remarks which gifts the reader an abundance of ideas and the shadows of ideas.
Simplicity and complexity merge to create an intriguing simplexity.
Cioran is arguably the best writer of anti-clichéd philosophical aphorisms.
... (A poetic aphorism from page 71): "Adrift in the Vague, I cling to each wisp of affliction as to a drowning man's plank." ( )
1 vote BlackGlove | Jan 20, 2018 |
Cioran is perhaps an acquired taste -- to resort to a cliche he would despise, he is not everyone's cup of tea. But for those who have the taste for him, he is an addiction, like absinthe. ( )
3 vote TRHummer | Jul 28, 2008 |
bello ( )
  adriano107 | Mar 26, 2008 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,863,868 books! | Top bar: Always visible