Night Rounds by Helene Tursten

Night Rounds (1999)

by Helene Tursten

Series: Irene Huss (2)

English (9)  German (1)  All languages (10)
Irene Huss's second outing, investigating the murder of a nurse in a small private hospital, has a bit of a P.D. James feel to it, but that's obviously mostly down to the coincidence of the authors' common background in healthcare. However, Tursten feels free to treat surgeons with a lot less respect than the Baroness ever did...

This one felt more like a tightly-constructed mystery story than the first book, with much less of the randomness of ordinary life about it: this was good in some ways, as it made the book more of a page-turner, but a loss in others. The detail about hospital routine and nursing tradition was interesting and not overdone, but it did feel jarring when the police started to explain to each other about the difficulties of vulnerable people with mental health problems who have ended up homeless as a result of the closure of residential mental hospitals. I can't imagine that there's any working police officer anywhere in a developed country who doesn't already have practical experience of trying to sort out the problems such people face. Surely Tursten could have found a stooge to stand in for the reader here? ( )
  thorold | Aug 4, 2018 |
This book is yet another read in a series and one I definitely couldn't put down as soon as I picked it up. Irene is a strong feminine protagonist, which I thoroughly enjoy in a good book such as this, though I felt she is actually to accomplished. Seriously; where s she finding all this time to raise twins, keep up on her ju-jitsu, be a chef AND an detective inspector? Was a tad overkill, but that's okay because Tursten writes a strong story that doesn't focus directly on all of Irene's talents all of the time. This series is translated from Swedish to English ( or so I am told) and I did find that Tursten has a unique writing style which is refreshing and different from the typical American writers. I did read up on the previous book in this series and it appeared filled with more action, which this book had, but in limited quantity. Overall, I really did like this book and suggest the entire series. ( )
  crayolakym | Apr 11, 2013 |
Another rattling good story about Gothenburg Detective Inspector Irene Huss. This time, the redoubtable lady is trying to unravel the killing of one young nurse at a private Swedish hospital, and the dissapearance of another. These are solid police procedurals, with an undertone of humor, and entertaining diversions into the Inspector's private life. Unusually among fictional Scandinavian detectives, Inspector Huss is not neurotic, not depressed, and not alcoholic. She is instead quite cheerful, which is fun for a change in the world of Scandi noir. ( )
  annbury | Jun 2, 2012 |
This is #2 in the Irene Huss series, published out of order in English.

Criminal Inspector Irene Huss is a member of the Violent Crimes Unit in Goteborg, Sweden, so NIGHT ROUNDS is a police procedural with a Swedish flavour.

The Lowander Hospital is a small private hospital run by Dr. Sverker Lowander, a family business inherited from his father. It has a very small number of rooms, although it has an operating room, but at nights and weekends is managed by only 2 or 3 staff. When the blackout occurs in the middle of the night there are 2 nurses on duty and one doctor. The blackout triggers the failure of a respirator in the ICU room and the generator fails to kick in. The ICU nurse is missing and is later found dead.

NIGHT ROUNDS has some interesting plot strands: the murder of one nurse on the blackout night, the disappearance of another, the appearance of a ghost, the relationships between members of the Violent Crimes Squad, and Irene's family which consists of twin 14 year old daughters and a chef husband. the Squad works in small teams, each focussing on particular enquiries and reporting back to the main group at the beginning and ending of the day.

I found the style a little unusual, and couldn't quite work out whether this was the result of Tursten's writing style or the translation. It is a very direct style of writing, not much adornment, and shortish sentences, with economy in description. There were some peculiarities of expression like the constant references to "morning prayers", the meeting of the Crimes Squad at the beginning of each day. I have seen this used in other crime fiction works, but not as commonly as this novel seems to imply.

And yet, I think NIGHT ROUNDS is good reading if you like police procedurals (which I do). The plot is inventive, well supplied with red herrings, and there feels to be plenty of local colour. And I do like the character of Irene Huss. ( )
  smik | Mar 26, 2012 |
Not as dark as most of the Nordic mysteries I have read. Do like the main character of Irene Huss and her twins. This was just okay for me, liked it but did not avidly turn the pages to get to the solution. ( )
  Beamis12 | Mar 14, 2012 |

Helene Turstenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wideburg, Laura A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"You're absolutely certain this was the nurse you saw last night?"

When a nurse is murdered and another disappears during a hospital blackout, Detective Inspector Irene Huss of the Violent Crimes Unit struggles with a report by the crime's only witness, who claims she saw a nurse who died sixty years earlier.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,101,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible