The Golden Calf by Helene Tursten

The Golden Calf (2004)

by Helene Tursten

1941185,899 (3.74)8

English (8)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (11)
In the fifth book of the series, we're plunged into a complex backstory about the economic recklessness of the late nineties and the dotcom bubble. Three businessmen well-known from the gossip columns are found shot in Göteborg, and Irene and her colleagues have to unravel the circumstances that led them to this point. As in the previous book, the murderers have fortunately been careful enough to dispose of the victims' laptops and back-up disks, so Tursten is able to postpone once again having to get to grips with computer-based detection, but it's clearly only a matter of time before she will have to confront this stumbling-block of 21st century crime fiction just like everyone else.

The moral core of this book is a very Sjöwall & Wahlöö-ish look at the irresponsible greed of turn of the century capitalism, but it's also nice to see that she manages to sneak in a (slightly farcical) hospital scene at a key moment of the book, and of course another disastrous foreign trip for Irene - to Paris, this time. And something tells me we're going to see some more of the magnificent FBI agent who appears in the closing chapters to pull the rabbit out of the hat. ( )
  thorold | Aug 8, 2018 |
This novel explores the role of young Swedish businessmen in the collapse of the dot com world in the early 21st century. It begins with the death of one businessman and then the revealing of his strange living arrangements with his young wife and son. Then a further two businessmen who normally live together in Paris are found dead, obviously murdered. Police investigations reveal that another has been missing for three years. The wife of the first victim appears to hold the key.

Irene and a colleague are sent to Paris to view the apartment of the dead couple and they disturb a man who attacks both of them.

An action packed thriller that explores a web that reaches from Sweden to Paris and London and even into the mafia of New York.

Change is imminent in Irene's world with a couple close to going through marital breakup and the Huss twins on the verge of leaving home.

This series are basically police procedurals, planted in a modern world, with plenty of human interest. ( )
  smik | Mar 21, 2014 |
Love this author

Soho’s perennially popular Swedish crime series featuring Detective Inspector Irene Huss—jiujitsu champion, mother of teenage twin girls, and investigator on Göteborg Murder Squad—is back!

Three men have been shot in one of Göteborg's most fashionable neighborhoods, sending Irene Huss and her colleagues on a goose chase through a tony world of expensive cars and fancy homes. All three victims seem to be tied to one person, the glamorous dot-com darling Sanna Kaegler-Ceder, but Sanna isn’t talking, even when her own life seems to be at stake. ( )
  Suzanne_Mitchell | Dec 26, 2013 |
Reviewed at Reviewing the Evidence. I found this book, originally published in 2003, quite timely and a strong entry in the series.
  bfister | May 19, 2013 |
This is the first book I have read by this author, but it certainly will not be the last. It kept my interest from page 1, and I hated having to put it down. I was surprised by the twist at the end, but I loved it. I will definitely look forward to more from Helene Tursten! ( )
  MaryAnn12 | Apr 4, 2013 |
To my sister Pia
FEBRUARY 2000

Fuzzy images from the bank's security cameras flickered across the TV screen. (Prologue)
Rikosylikonstaapelit Irene Huss ja Tommy Persson jättivät autonsa tienposkeen kahden sinivalkoisen poliisiauton perään. (1. luku)

A triple homicide in one of Goteborg's most fashionable neighborhoods culminates in a frantic investigation for Detective Inspector Irene Huss that is complicated by a dot-com diva who refuses to speak and Irene's partner Tommy's suspicious behavior.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,031,609 books! | Top bar: Always visible