Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar… (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.
Member:aquapages
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk, Hardcover, 352 pages

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (debbiereads)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (997)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,018)
The story and pictures go really well together and adds to the total experience of the book. The story is very interesting and has a lot of mystery to eat albeit having slow progress throughout the book. In spite of that, this was a good read and I am looking forward in reading the sequel. ( )
  nikkiyrj | Sep 18, 2020 |
I've enjoyed other books narrated by Jesse Bernstein (the Percy Jackson books), but wow he canNOT do accents. Avoid the audio version of this book.

The story itself was... okay? A little predictable and a little cliched, but overall enjoyable. Super glad I didn't pay for it, tho. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
Very interesting imagination. I saw the trailer to the new Tim Burton movie and so I got the book to read it. I think this might be one of those cases where the movie might to the idea more justice... especially with Burton at the helm. I liked it. ( )
  rickycatto | Sep 9, 2020 |
I don't think this is destined to be the next Harry Potter. It is a children's book that features odd characters but I had some difficulty staying awake to read it all.

Our hero is fifteen-year-old Jacob, who embarks on a journey to discover that his grandfather's "fairy tales" were actually true. He actually did live as an orphan on an island in a home for "peculiar children".

Led to this island by the words of his dying grandfather, Jacob finds the home and the children, but not without some difficulty. I won't go into details because some might like to stay in suspense. The story is illustrated by old photographs, odd ones, that the author obtained from collectors. Real photos, not-so-real story. It's an interesting idea, building the story from these photos, but it is not enough by half. I found it tedious and obvious. Of course, I am not a child. It's possible that a ten-year-old might like it. ( )
  slojudy | Sep 8, 2020 |
Along the same vein as "Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions" by Daniel Wallace (which was also made into a movie by Tim Burton), this magical story is of a boy searching for answers to his grandfather's past.
All Jacob's childhood was spent listening to his grandfather's stories. He dismissed them as outlandish tall tales until the events of one fateful night sent him on a journey of a lifetime.
This adventurous mystery springs to life with colorful characters, loopholes in time, and suspenseful moments. The multi-layered plot is pretty light and fast paced, making it a very enjoyable read.
A great book for when you want to escape to another world. ( )
  Penny_L | Sep 7, 2020 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ransom Riggs's book Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,716,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible