Miss Peregrine et les enfants particuliers -…

Miss Peregrine et les enfants particuliers - Tome 1 (edition 2016)

by Ransom Riggs (Auteur)

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.
Member:EmmyBou
Title:Miss Peregrine et les enfants particuliers - Tome 1
Authors:Ransom Riggs (Auteur)
Info:Livre de Poche Jeunesse (2016), Edition: 01, 448 pages

Work Information

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Recently added byMsStith, Jamten, Bridget737, private library, squeagel, Emily0310, Rennie90, WackierMonk, sikitado, kanzedac
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (debbiereads)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (1,042)  German (6)  Italian (3)  Dutch (3)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,066)
It was different from what I expected, but it was strange and delightful. ( )
  theEmmers | Nov 24, 2021 |
I liked it. I almost loved it. Fast-moving at times, creepy imagery, rather original story, and I read it in one sitting last night, thus ignoring my family, and finished it in bed at 1 am.

However: As super-cool as the old, weird photos are, the story would have worked just as well without them, and I found myself wanting to know the REAL stories behind the photos. I didn't feel a strong connection between the illustrations and the book -- and that was a shame, since the conceit of the book is the photos. You'll get what I mean when you read it. ( )
  FinallyJones | Nov 17, 2021 |
I was expecting something flawless given all the accolades and it didn't live up to the hype. A good story premise but the pacing is uneven; the characterizations rather flat and I don't think the author really thought what it would be like to be a fully-grown adult in a child's body. The action sequence that marked the book's climax dragged on interminably and I was relieved when the book was finally over. I will not be reading the sequel but I shouldn't object to reading other efforts by Mr. Riggs especially if more assiduously edited than this one. ( )
  fionaanne | Nov 11, 2021 |
Please check out my review at https://bardbooksblog.wordpress.com/
Your comments will be most appreciated!

Book before movie: Having waited about five years to crack open this story, I now wish I'd waited and simply watched the film. I'm fairly certain that the movie will surpass the book, which felt contrived and somehow underdeveloped, character-wise, as it unfolded with found-photo plot markers. I get the trend in YA to churn out book series with movie and marketing appeal, which isn't a bad thing. YA readers have proven they'll buy and read longer books; might this book have been richer if we had the chance to connect differently with characters who are more finely drawn with words? ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
I loved the tie-in of the vintage photographs... It really made the story that much more intriguing! ( )
  bookwyrmqueen | Oct 25, 2021 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,455,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible