Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar…

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (edition 2011)

by Ransom Riggs

After a family tragedy, Jacob feels compelled to explore an abandoned orphanage on an island off the coast of Wales, discovering disturbing facts about the children who were kept there.
Member:brjamo
Title:Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Authors:Ransom Riggs
Info:Quirk Books (2011), Edition: Book Club, Hardcover, 352 pages

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: This is a much darker book than Miss Peregrine's, but it has a similar mystery/suspense/fantastical feel to it.
    Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake (MyriadBooks)
    Paper Towns by John Green (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The styles of these books are similar, as is the heightened sense of adventure and exploration infused with mystery.
    Passenger by Alexandra Bracken (debbiereads)
    Wildthorn by Jane Eagland (mrskatieparker)
    mrskatieparker: The Gothic institutional settings of these two books have a similar feeling.
    I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Two exceptional YA books, that may be enjoyed by adults as well, wherein graphics play an integral role in telling the story. These are not graphic novels per se, but images are important!
    Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan (caittilynn)
    The Seer of Shadows by Avi (sboyte)
    John Dies at the End by David Wong (kaledrina)
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the photographs.

English (1,034)  German (6)  Dutch (3)  Italian (3)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Finnish (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (1,056)
Saw the film with my younger sibling- it was weird and problematic and fun and complete nonsense all at once.

And then I got to witness one of my favorite directors (Tim Burton, who did the film adaptation) prove how completely he fails to understand what diversity of representation is all about, why we need a film reality with a cast that reflects actual reality, why making our fantasies inclusive rather than exclusive is important- and to see a former hero speak with such utter failing of understanding made me sad.

So that's the peripheral background that shaped my experience reading.

I think the oddest bit of reading this is how it weaves the story around, but never directly addresses, the holocaust- instead dealing with WW2 in a sort of intertextuality that feels irreverent.

It feels like the book takes that moment and uses it as backdrop, in the same hazy kind of way that "the Wild West" is used as backdrop, mythologized and problematized and papering over genocide and atrocity with enough layers of time that only dangerously charming falsehoods remain.

On the other hand, it's YA fiction, and it at least attempts to touch on issues like mental health, war, grief, atrocity. I just wish it'd held itself to a higher standard, paid these topics enough respect that they felt like more than oddly disrespectful flavoring for a halfway entertaining adventure.

And that's the real issue. It's only halfway entertaining as an adventure. The odd truth is, while the plot of the film and the book are significantly different, and the book avoids most of the moments that made me boggle, I feel like the film was a more polished telling of the same idea. Certainly it had a far more interesting climactic scene, though it may just have cannibalized the later books to get there.

Final verdict: this was okay, but it could have been a lot better, if only the ideas had been taken further. I kept wishing an editor had told the author "like this, but more so" - more peculiar, more threat, more energy. ( )
  MCBacon | Aug 2, 2021 |
Loved this book. I can't wait to read the next one. I also can't wait to share this with my son in hopes that he enjoys it as much as we do. ( )
  JessicaF217 | Jul 26, 2021 |
“I don't mean to be rude' I said, 'but what are you people?'
'We're peculiar,' he replied, sounding a bit puzzled. 'Aren't you?;
'I don't know. I don't think so'
'That's a shame.”
― Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

The story was good and I enjoyed it. I'll admit I was expecting a bit more from it than I actually got, but still pretty pleased with it. It was pretty entertaining with its supernatural like characters and the interesting setting.

I like the twist on the time loop. Every movie/tv show/story that I've seen or read has the characters trying to get out of their time loops. This is the first one that not only did it on purpose but happy with it.

The characters were great. I found most of them likeable and all of them to have a distinct personality. There not general, made of clay kind of characters, and I love the old-fashioned way that they all talk.

I did find it very slow to start though. Dragged on forever and I started to wonder if it was ever going to truely start. I know that this book need to introduce the main characters and set the world and background for the whole series, but this took almost half the book.

The pictures were interesting. I read one series before this that did something similar, but I think that series had actually been inspired by this one. Also the photos in this book fit with the story really well.

Apparently, most of the children were suppose to be around the age of 16, but they felt so much younger to me when reading this. I don't know if that is just because of the older way of things, or the writing itself.

All in all it was good. I want to watch the movie now, just to see how it compares, and I will continue with the series.

How I choose my rating:
1* Hated it. Had to force myself to finish it.
2** Didn't really like it. Didn't hate it but not sure why I finished it other then for some closure.
3*** I liked it. I had some issues with it, but as a whole it was good. I probably won't reread again ever, but there is a chance I might finish the series. (If part of one) But if not it's not a huge loss.
4**** I really liked this book. Maybe not a work of genius, but highly entertaining. I might reread this again, and I will finish the series. (If part of one) I would recommend to those I know hold interest in this books content.
5***** I loved this book. I found little to no issues with it at all. I will definitely be rereading this and probably more than once. I will finish the series and reread it multiple times. (If part of one) I will recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!!
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
I wanted to give this book 4 stars, but couldn't: really 3.5 stars. Imaginative story about a young boy who worships his grandfather, in part because of the fanciful stories he tells about the unusual kids he went to school with after he escaped the Nazis. Then the grandfather is murdered by a beast, and young Jacob is haunted by his death and his dying words. He convinces his parents to let him go to the island, where his grandfather attended school and slips through a portal to find that the children exist in a Loop, never aging and living the same day over and over until evil attacks. Events force Jacob to choose between his new friends and his family. The aged photographs are an interesting aspect of this novel. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
middlegrade/teen fiction. A story built around collections of odd photographs, this was a disappointment. Narration was solid but a bit dull by today's standards, felt sort of like reading an old-style writer like Poe--creepiness building on top of spookiness for pages and pages (though I haven't read Poe in ages so it is possible I am under-/over-estimating). Took forever (p.144!!) for the protagonist to get any answers from Miss Peregrine regarding his grandpa's childhood at the orphanage (or rather, the continued existence of the orphanage itself), and would've taken too long again to find out about the strange circumstances of Gramps' death (attacked by a monster). I skimmed ahead as far as p.179, but ultimately lost interest. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
Boken är knappast ett stilistiskt mästerverk. Dialogerna krystas stundom fram och vissa figurer är lika blodfattiga som de spöken som förföljer dem. Det som gör verket unikt är bilderna

The author’s ability to use the photos to play with the reader’s imagination, while still holding the tension of the plot, is extraordinary. This kind of device can feel like a self-conscious reminder of the authorial hand, but this is not the case in Miss Peregrine’s Home.

In Miss Peregrine’s, a teenager decides to investigate the stories his grandfather told him about an island off the coast of Wales. He finds more than he bargained for, of course, and there are adventures, involving a group of kids with remarkable abilities which are almost, but not quite, entirely similar to mutants from X-Men comics. For a story constructed to make use of a collection of vintage snapshots, it’s impressively cohesive, and there’s certainly nothing wrong with yet another recounting of the hero’s journey from callow youth to manhood. But the book never lives up to its own aesthetic, and the story refuses to get past surface level on the occasional odd idea or intriguing concept. Whatever its faults, Miss Peregrine’s only true sin is that, presentation aside, it isn’t really that peculiar.
added by jimcripps | editAV Club, Zack Handlen (Jun 29, 2011)

Those Creepy Pictures Explained

The idea for Miss Peregrine's Home popped into Ransom Riggs' head when he ran across some sinister-looking vintage photos, which ''suggest stories even though you don't know who the people are or exactly when they were taken.'' As he began writing, he kept searching for images, even combing swap meets and flea markets. ''I was developing the story as I was finding the photos. I'd find a particularly evocative photo and I'd say, 'I need to work this in somehow.' '' Most are reproduced in the novel ''as is,'' but a few have been digitally altered. Riggs says he ended up with more photos than he could use: ''I have a nice big fat backlog for the second book.'' — Keith Staskiewicz

added by kthomp25 | editEntertainment Weekly, Keith Staskiewicz (Jun 24, 2011)

With its X-Men: First Class-meets-time-travel story line, David Lynchian imagery, and rich, eerie detail, it's no wonder Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children has been snapped up by Twentieth Century Fox. This is a novel with ''movie adaptation'' written into its powerful DNA. B+

Ransom Riggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
THEY ARE ALL VANISHING,
FLEEING TO FABLES,
CANNOT BE MOORED.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.

A MYSTERIOUS ISLAND.

AN ABANDONED ORPHANAGE.

A STRANGE COLLECTION OF VERY PECULIAR PHOTOGRAPHS.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children who once lived here — one of whom was his own grandfather — were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a desolate island for good reason. And somehow — impossible though it seems — they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.

Look! Creepy photos
Wildly inventive
tale based on peculiar
vintage photographs.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,557,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible