Simple Church: Returning to God's Process…

Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Thom S. Rainer, Eric Geiger

Member:Kirk1810
Title:Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
Authors:Thom S. Rainer
Other authors:Eric Geiger
Info:B&H Books (2006), Edition: 0, Hardcover, 272 pages
Collections:The Church

Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples by Thom S. Rainer (2006)

Recently added bySCUMCLibrary, hrfxwc, private library, kevinboyd, Dan_Williams, revwooster, Pastor_Doug
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Most Loving Place in Town: A Modern Day Parable for the Church by Ken Blanchard (johncstark)
    johncstark: The Simple Church is a great process to help with the nuts and bolts of being the most loving place in town.

Great book about what we have done to the Church today. Is it still as Biblical as what Christ wanted? Have we made it just too complex to the church? ( )
  HopewellGB | Jan 31, 2017 |
Solid conclusions based on reasonable research. Missing from the writing is a sense of urgency and passion. Maybe that's because this isn't that kind of book. I'm not sure. ( )
  Charles.Williams | Oct 10, 2016 |
I led a leader's retreat for my church yesterday. Our goal was to discuss our purpose and the process that we are using to achieve that purpose. Our pastor recommended this book, and I found it very helpful in structuring our conversation. The key idea is that most churches are too complex. We need to help people move through the stages of encountering God, growing spiritually, and serving the world. This book provides lots of examples of how other churches have successfully achieved these goals and questions for discussion. ( )
  porch_reader | Feb 1, 2015 |
Enjoyed this look at simplifying the church. Some of my favorite quotes include:
Are the people in his church being transformed? Is his church making real disciples, the kind of disciples Jesus made?
the overprogrammed & busy church is the norm. The simple church is the exception, ... that should not be the case
Like the homes on the television show, many churches need an extreme makeover.
In general, churches that are vibrant and growing are simple. The vibrant churches are much more simple than the comparison churches.
Clarity is the ability of the process to be communicated and understood by the people. ... Clarity involves certainty, and it eliminates confusion.
Most churches are like poor relay teams. Instead of caring about the handoffs, they are preoccupied with programs.
Church leaders must have the single-mindedness of the apostle Paul who said, "One thing I do" (Phil. 3:13).
The key is to choose the best. Eliminate the unnecessary and keep the best. "I pray this…that you can determine what really matters” (Phil 1:9-10)
Immanuel strategically moves adults from worship services to Bible fellowships to small groups… People naturally progress.
This reality seems to stem from people understanding how we propose to make disciples, rather than just being told that we need to make disciples.
Like many churches they had vision, purpose, strategy & mission statements. It was too much, too confusing.
They committed to one statement that features their simple process: Connect to God, others, ministry, and the lost.
people are challenged to do three things a week-Come to a worship service, be in a small group & serve in a ministry.
People are now challenged to come to one service and one small group a week.
At Northpoint, less really is more. They have done so much less than most churches but have been able to accomplish much more.
"We have a clearly defined process for moving a person from salvation to spiritual maturity to significant ministry."
Sadly, in many churches people are stuck in the same place spiritually. And there is no intentional process to move them.
“The picture is clear: people stick to a church when they get involved in a small group.”
New Christians who immediately became active in a small group are five times more likely to remain in the church five years later
You must eliminate nonessential programs, limit adding more programs, reduce special events, and ensure the process is easy to communicate and simple to understand.
In general, simple churches are so focused on their ministry process that there is little time for special events. Special events would get in the way. They would distract.
The church, as a whole, is doing more and more. And the church, as a whole, is making less and less of a difference.
Leadership expert Tom Peters once commented, "It is easier to kill an organization than it is to change it." Please do not take the easy route. Do not kill your church.
"some people will struggle with abandoning other programs to focus solely on the ministry process God has given your church." ( )
  dannywahlquist | May 14, 2013 |
Programs, programs, programs! So many churches suffer from program overload – programs that often compete with one another for limited resources (money, staff, time, etc.) and that often are not in synch with the church’s mission. Rainer and Greigor’s research indicates that full-service churches (a church with a program for everything) are not nearly as effective as simple churches – churches that can identify a clear discipleship process and only utilize programs that move church members along that process. Most churches need fewer programs and more clarity and focus around those programs they retain. Rainer and Greigor help church leaders cut through the buzz of the latest programming trends and narrow in on the church’s purpose: making disciples. Very helpful. A- ( )
  bsanner | Oct 23, 2011 |

Thom S. Rainerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Geiger, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed

The simple revolution is here. From the iPod design to Google’s uncluttered homepage, simple ideas are changing the world.

Multi-awarded #1 national bestseller Simple Church guides Christians back to the simple gospel-sharing methods of Jesus. No bells or whistles required. Based on case studies of 400 American churches, Thom Rainer and Eric Geiger prove the disciple-making process is often too complex. Simple churches thrive by taking four ideas to heart: Clarity. Movement. Alignment. Focus.

Simple Church examines each idea, clearly showing why it is time to simplify.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:35 -0400)

Many of the church leaders we talk to are seeking an escape from the not-so-simple life. This book is not about another church model. Church leaders have been exposed to plenty of models, and have many on their bookshelves. Or worse, many church leaders have blended a bunch of models into one schizophrenic plan. If that is the case, neither the leader nor the people in the church are really sure what that church is all about. This pattern is seen all the time. But no new program will be pushed here. If anything, this book encourages eliminating some things, to streamline. This book will help design a simple process of discipleship for a church. It will help implement a personally chosen model. It will help simplify.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,917,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible