Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline (Author)

10,803917402 (4.13)4 / 869
"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines -- puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win -- and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape"--Page 2 of cover.… (more)
Member:TheCriticalTimes
Title:Ready Player One: A Novel
Authors:Ernest Cline (Author)
Info:Broadway Books (2012), Edition: 32089th, 400 pages
Tags:Science Fiction

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    Kiln People (The Kiln Books) by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    Warcross by Marie Lu (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: dystopian society with virtual reality
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas)
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)

English (895)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Italian (4)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (916)
(This review can also be found on my blog: All the Ups and Downs).

Wow! I loved this book and was sad when it ended. I really didn’t know what to make of it when I read the book blurb. It just didn’t sound like something I’d like. How wrong I was!

I saw this book sitting in my local library and decided to give it a chance. I’m glad I did!

I loved the characters! I don’t wish I knew a bit more backstory about each of them, but it didn’t deter me from the book. I loved Art3mis the most.

I loved the setting of the book and everything that goes on in the OASIS. I felt like I was there a lot of them through Cline’s descriptive writing.

There are so many 80’s references in this book. It helps if you are big on 80’s pop culture. I feel like it would give you more of an advantage in picturing what Cline describes.

Sometimes the 80’s pop culture references were a bit much as was all the technology speak, but I wasn’t put off by the book.

The writing is fantastic as is the plot! I hated the Sixers and Sorrento so much and wanted them to fail.

I would say this book is better suited for those 16 or older due to the language. Adults will enjoy it too not only because of all the nostalgic 80’s feels, but also because it’s just a great book.

I would definitely recommend this book. I was totally immersed in Ready Player One. I think most people would enjoy it especially those who grew up in/around the 80’s and those that are gamers. ( )
  khal_khaleesi | Nov 16, 2019 |
Like many destitute folks, Wade lives in a rickety tower of stacked mobile homes, along with his indifferent aunt and other assorted riffraff. To escape the misery of his immediate environment he has fashioned a secret hideout where he can attend school and instead live his life online logged in to OASIS, the immersive and seemingly infinite global virtual reality. In addition to the socializing, exploring, entertainment and commerce aspects of OASIS, it also hosts a puzzle inspired by 1980s pop culture that for years no one has yet been able to solve. For someone like Wade, the reward for winning this global competition would be utterly life-changing.

Despite an endless series of too-good-to-be-true circumstances, this was a pretty fun and adventurous romp. It was fun to revisit some of the memorable technologies of my own childhood. Arm yourself with a healthy suspension of disbelief and be prepared to withstand the smugness of the protagonist, then enjoy! ( )
  ryner | Nov 14, 2019 |
Amazing page turning fun. The movie is completely different, but I enjoy the fact that it gives you a different look at this universe. ( )
  Westwest | Oct 31, 2019 |
this is the exact reason I’m in book clubs. Chris has read this book many times but everyone’s said “oh, not your thing. You will hate it. All the pop culture will go over your head.” Well, I’m here to tell y’all that I can be fun sometimes! Sure, I think I missed some of the references, but I loved Wade and his friends. The amount of time and detail to weave in all the references and keep the plot moving is impressive.
Chris and I were discussing this morning as I tried to predict the last 100 pages. I learned that he has played every.single.game in this book and many of them on their original gaming systems. I started flipping through the book and quizzing him. I was speechless. ( )
  strandbooks | Oct 30, 2019 |
I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed this book. Without spoiling anything I find this book to be worthy of a movie. It brought me back to my childhood, my teen years and beyond. It has brought me the desire to watch all the wonderful movies talked about, listen to all the referenced music and die to find an Atari 2600 so I can go back and play all its games. I might just have to drag out the Nintendo 64 although that unit wasn't talked about until towards the end...

Such a delightful, inspiring and well written book. Well done Ernest Cline, well done.
This will definitely be a book I recommend to everyone, especially those who love all things Geeky. ❤️

Onward to your next book. ( )
  SandraBrower | Oct 27, 2019 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spini, L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wheaton, WilNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHISKYTREEINCCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]

A world at stake. A quest for the ultimate prize.
Are you ready?

At once wildly original and stuffed with irresistible nostalgia, Ready Player One is a spectacularly genre-busting, ambitious, and charming debut — part quest novel, part love story, and part virtual space opera.

It's the year 2044, and the real world is an ugly place.

Like most of humanity, Wade Watts escapes his grim surroundings by spending his waking hours jacked into the OASIS — a sprawling virtual utopia that lets you be anything you want to be, a place where you can live and play and fall in love on any of ten thousand planets.

And like most of humanity, Wade dreams of being the one to discover the ultimate lottery ticket that lies concealed within this virtual world. For somewhere inside this giant networked playground, OASIS creator James Halliday has hidden a series of fiendish puzzles that will yield massive fortune — and remarkable power — to whoever can unlock them.

For years, millions have struggled fruitlessly to attain this prize, knowing only that Halliday's riddles are based in the pop culture he loved — that of the late twentieth century. And for years, millions have found in this quest another means of escape, retreating into happy, obsessive study of Halliday's icons. Like many of his contemporaries, Wade is as comfortable debating the finer points of John Hughes's oeuvre, playing Pac-Man, or reciting Devo lyrics as he is scrounging power to run his OASIS rig.

And then Wade stumbles upon the first puzzle.

Suddenly, the whole world is watching, and thousands of competitors join the hunt — among them certain powerful players who are willing to commit very real murder to beat Wade to this prize. Now the only way for Wade to survive and preserve everything he knows is to win. But to do so, he may have to leave behind his oh-so-perfect virtual existence and face up to life — and love — in the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,679,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible