Ready Player One: A Novel by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One: A Novel (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Ernest Cline (Author)

Series: Ready Player One (1)

13,7901068317 (4.09)4 / 905
"In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the Oasis. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines -- puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. But when Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win -- and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape"--Page 2 of cover.… (more)
Member:MaryVBlair
Title:Ready Player One: A Novel
Authors:Ernest Cline (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2012), Edition: 32089th, 384 pages

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (2011)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (2seven, whymaggiemay)
    whymaggiemay: Both about teens fighting back against the greater power using computers.
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: RPO's OASIS owes it's existence as much to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse as to the miriad of geek universes that are included in it.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson (jbgryphon)
    jbgryphon: Gibson's Matrix and Stephenson's Metaverse are as much the basis for OASIS as any of the geek universes that are included in it.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (Anonymous user)
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World by Bryan Lee O'Malley (quenstalof)
    quenstalof: Both show classic video game inspiration
    Halting State by Charles Stross (ahstrick)
    Daemon by Daniel Suarez (bikeracer4487)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (brakketh)
    brakketh: Both books focus on 1980s culture, similar narrative ark for isolated teen to hero.
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (sturlington)
    sturlington: Ready Player One reminded me of a grown-up version of this classic.
    City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams (infjsarah)
    Erebos by Ursula Poznanski (aliklein)
    Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd by Holly Black (quenstalof)
    Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson (TomWaitsTables)
    For the Win by Cory Doctorow (simon_carr)
    The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks (GD2020)
    Wyrm by Mark Fabi (slagolas, slagolas, Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Players inserted into a virtual world with real world stakes, and littered with cultural references.
    Warcross by Marie Lu (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: dystopian society with virtual reality
    You by Austin Grossman (Anonymous user)
    Press Start to Play by Daniel H. Wilson (erikrebooted)
    erikrebooted: Similar subject matter -- where video games are more than they seem.
    Kiln People by David Brin (freddlerabbit)

2010s (99)

English (1,045)  Spanish (4)  French (4)  Italian (4)  German (3)  Finnish (2)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (1,065)
I enjoyed a lot of aspects of this book, but one or two things are making me debate my opinion on it.

It's definitely an entertaining book. The plotting is neat and the major concepts are pretty gripping- especially the way that the wider setting is revealed slowly.

It really feels like the OASIS, the book's ubiquitous virtual reality, plays a nuanced role as both cause and cure to humanity's ills.

What's left me a tad conflicted is the juvenile nature of some of the character plots. I feel like the way certain character arcs were handled, and I won't spoil anything, but there's a certain sense I get reading this that despite all the interesting ideas, at core there's a very traditional kind of YA plot.

Maybe that's supposed to be part of the charm- like the book says of John Hughes movies, maybe it's all supposed to be a nerd's fantasy.

Conflict between fantasy and reality is one of the underlying themes of this story, though, and I'm disappointed because there were moments when the story seemed to stretch beyond mere wish fulfillment... but chose to stick within its comfort zone.

And don't get me started on that romance; when one of the pair spends every other line bringing up completely valid reasons why romance doesn't work that way, and the other spends most of the book absolutely certain that it's true luv... Yeah. No. ( )
  MCBacon | Aug 2, 2021 |
Okay I am prejudgedist. I like this book because I lived in the Haliday character's era. I love the references to old songs, old video games, old computers. They even use my favorite game on the Atari system as one of the obstacles the main character Wade must work through. If you are a child of the 70' or 80's this will bring back memories in a humorous way. ( )
  GlenRH | Jul 26, 2021 |
I read the premise and it sounded like my kind of thing so I stuck it in my wishlist with the hope that I would pick it up in a charity shop at some point. Eventually I had enough of waiting for a copy to surface so I purchased it on my Kindle and sat back to enjoy the ride.

The world has effectively been bled dry of oil and mass sections of the populations are living in tower blocks made of whatever is left lying around. To escape the struggle of everyday life people log into a virtual reality game called OASIS. Just like some of the biggest MMORPG's that are about today there is crossover with real world money. Sadly, our hero Wade is from a poor background and although he loves to spend time in OASIS he is restricted to what he can do due to his situation.

There is a way out however, in the form of a hunt for an Easter egg hidden in the game by the developer James Halliday. The hunt has been going on for a few years when Wade manages to solve the first part of the quest. This reignites the search within the public mind and suddenly the race is on to get the prize.

This is essentially a battle between good and evil with loads of 70's & 80's pop culture references thrown in. When I say loads, I mean loads, it is really heavy with them and even though some undoubtedly passed me by, I got the majority of them. None of the characters is particularly well developed and the writing was a bit patchy in a few places. However, despite this it is a great read which ratchets up the tension as the book progresses.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone who is a gamer or a child of the 80's. It is packed with nostalgia galore. ( )
  Brian. | Jul 24, 2021 |
good book. lots of geek stuff. really picks up in the 2nd half and all the feels toward the end. ( )
  Joy_Bush | Jul 22, 2021 |
Wade Watts is a nerd, and lives his life as an avatar (Parzival, a takeoff of Percival, the knight of Arthurian legend), where he attends a virtual school in a multiplayer online universe called OASIS. The creator of OASIS, James Halliday dies and creates a game to inherit his wealth and control of OASIS. Gunters like Wade and his virtual friends (and competitors) Aech and Art3mis have to battle a corporate giant IOI, led by the villian Sorrento to find three keys, open three gates, and find the hidden egg. There is an enormous amount of 80's trivia, ranging from music to movies to culture to technolgy to video games: clearly Cline was into this stuff personally or did a lot of research (although I suspect the former.) A bit predictable at times, but kind of fun. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Ready Player One borrows liberally from the same Joseph Campbell plot requirements as all the beloved franchises it references, but in such a loving, deferential way that it becomes endearing. There’s a high learning curve to all of the little details Wade throws out about the world, and for anyone who doesn’t understand or love the same sect of pop culture Halliday enjoyed, Ready Player One is a tough read. But for readers in line with Cline’s obsessions, this is a guaranteed pleasure.

"Cline is an ingenious conjurer talented at translating high concept into compelling storytelling."
added by bookfitz | editUSA Today, Don Oldenburg (Aug 21, 2011)

The breadth and cleverness of Mr. Cline’s imagination gets this daydream pretty far. But there comes a point when it’s clear that Wade lacks at least one dimension, and that gaming has overwhelmed everything else about this book.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Aug 14, 2011)

"Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles. "
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2011)

Cline, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

blanvalet (38030)
For Susan and Libby
Because there is no map for where we are going
Everyone my age remembers where they were and what they were doing when they first heard about the contest.
Like most gunters, I voted to reelect Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton (again). There were no term limits, and those two geezers had been doing a kick-ass job of protecting user rights for over a decade.
It was the dawn of a new era, one where most of the human race now spent all of their free time inside a videogame.
"No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful." [199]
And now the conditions at any schools had gotten so terrible that every kid with half a brain was being encouraged to stay at home and attend school online.
The Great Recession was now entering its third decade, and unemployment was still at a record high. (2045)

5 2019

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,586,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible