The Hunter from the Woods by Robert McCammon

The Hunter from the Woods

by Robert McCammon

This book is a series of historical fantasy short stories and novellas with the same main character. The setting is the middle of the 20thC, and the main character is a werewolf of Russian origin who gets drafted into the British Secret Service. Most of the stories/novellas are individual espionage missions around or during the Second World War.

I got this book as part of a Humble Bundle a few years back, and it is one of the less-appealing sounding ones that I put off reading, and I think I was right in doing so. The writing is perfunctory. The plots would make for by-the-numbers action movies. Quick, forgettable 1980s-seeming pulp. Would have given it two stars, but for the sequence with the torpedo in the story set on a freight ship: that was excellent use of the Rule of Cool. ( )
  Petroglyph | Feb 6, 2019 |
Sometimes at night, when he could sleep, he awakened with a start to feel the wolf coming out. Just sliding out of him, first the rippling bands of hair and then the searing pain of bones reforming. The smell of his own animal in his nostrils. His mouth in agony, his gums starting to be ripped apart, the taste of blood from new fangs. He always slammed the soul cage and locked it before he went too far...but the wolf was always there, and it always yearned to break free.
Life aboard a freighter was not suitable for lycanthropes.

Of Robert McCammon's works, there are only a handful that I've read more than once. And when asked my very favorite, the answer comes easy: The Wolf's Hour. Michael Gallatin, lover of women and slayer of Nazis - Her Majesty's lycanthrope is a difficult character to forget. But now The Wolf's Hour has a challenger because McCammon has written a new volume featuring Gallatin.

The Hunter from the Woods showcases six episodes in Gallatin's life. From youth to grizzled elder, we see how the years and the lifestyle have formed the man... and the wolf. I chewed through these so quickly but I couldn't stop myself from devouring the lot. Of the six, the one I enjoyed the least was The Wolf and the Eagle, it just didn't hold me rapt. But that was more than made up for by The Room at the Bottom of the Stairs and Death of a Hunter. Those are masterpieces - well paced, well written and well worth the wait. Like one of Gallatin's companions, I am left not sated but only wanting more. ( )
  VictoriaPL | Oct 19, 2012 |
When the pain has passed, there remains the power.

Contains the following stories and novellas:
The Great White Way
The Man From London
Sea Chase
The Wolf and the Eagle
The Room at the Bottom of the Stairs
Death of a Hunter

Givesa glimpse into Michael Gallatin's early life in Russia and his recruitment into the British Secret Service as well as his war with Nazi Germany.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,445,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible