The Religious Sense by Luigi Giussani

The Religious Sense (edition 1997)

by Luigi Giussani, John Zucchi (Translator)

Series: Per Corso (1)

Giussani challenges us to penetrate the deepest levels of experience to discover our essential selves, breaking through the layers of opinions and judgments that have obscured our true needs. Asserting that all the tools necessary for self-discovery are inherent within us, he focuses primarily on reason, not as narrowly defined by modern philosophers, but as an openness to existence, a capacity to comprehend and affirm reality in all of its dimensions. Part of the so-called new religious revival, The Religious Sense avoids any sentimental or irrational reduction of the religious experience. It is a forthright and refreshing call to reassess our lives.… (more)
Member:rkjmftlovett
Title:The Religious Sense
Authors:Luigi Giussani
Other authors:John Zucchi (Translator)
Info:McGill-Queen's University Press (1997), Paperback, 164 pages

The Religious Sense by Luigi Giussani

English (3)  Italian (1)  All languages (4)
  StFrancisofAssisi | Feb 6, 2021 |
About the author: Luigi Giussani was ordained to the Catholic priesthood in Milan, Italy at the early age of 23. Quoting from Wikipedia, "Following ordination Giussani began teaching at the Vengono Seminary. His academic interests were Eastern Christian Theology and American Protestantism." The monsignor wrote more than 20 books and in 1995 was award Italy's prestigious National Catholic Culture Prize. About the book: quoting from the inside leaf of the book's cover, "'The Religious Sense', the fruit of many years of dialogue with students, is an exploration of the search for meaning in life. [The author] shows that the nature of reason expresses itself in the ultimate need for truth, goodness, and beauty. These needs constitute the fabric of the religious sense, which is evident in every human being everywhere and in all times." Giussani quoted many people in this work, so in addition to chapter notes and a subject index, there is also an author index.
  uufnn | Jun 2, 2016 |
Very insightful, but dense. ( )
  SoonerCatholic | Jan 4, 2012 |

Belongs to Series

This trilogy makes no other claim than to affirm the truth. Its aim is to indicate how the Christian problem arose, even historically. Although the sequence of chapters doesn not pretend to deal exhaustively with all the problems it does indicate the path to be followed: the path of reasonableness.

McGill-Queen's University Press

2 editions of this book were published by McGill-Queen's University Press.

Editions: 0773516263, 0773517138

Ediciones Encuentro

4 editions of this book were published by Ediciones Encuentro.

Editions: 8474909406, 8474901561, 847490059X, 847490479X

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,585,902 books! | Top bar: Always visible