The Doubtful Guest by Edward Gorey

The Doubtful Guest (original 1957; edition 1998)

by Edward Gorey (Author)

An artist and writer of genius gives us a small-format edition of one of his favorite tales - a deliciously twisted comedy of manners.
Member:rayrile
Title:The Doubtful Guest
Authors:Edward Gorey (Author)
Info:Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (1998), Edition: First, 32 pages
Collections:Switzerland, Your library

The Doubtful Guest by Edward Gorey (1957)

Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
A mysterious creature appears clad in a scarf and sneakers to a Victorian house, where it engages in shenanigans and poor manners, much to the dismay of the family living there.

No one does creepy-funny quite like Edward Gorey, and The Doubtful Guest is a glorious, adorable example of that. ( )
  kittyjay | Feb 28, 2019 |
What to make of this book? It took about one minute to read and had little to say for itself. As usual with Gorey, his illustrations are interesting, but what's the point? As usual with me, when I first read a Gorey, I don't get it - why did I keep buying his books? If past experience is anything to go by, I'll return to this book and it'll start to find its place, and I mine with it. For now, a doubtful 3/5, which will likely improve with age.

A doubtful guest, indeed.

UPDATE: Let's try this again after a second read a s some reflection! Forgetting what I think Gorey is trying to say unlocks what I feel. The Doubtful Guest feels like
Anxiety
Depression
Isolation
It's a guest, so do I invite those things into my life? Maybe, but it's doubtful. I can scream at it to leave, and it ignores me. I sleep, but it gives me no peace. It spoils the things I enjoy, drowns the things I love. Year after year, it shows no sign of going away. What kind of guest is this? 4/5 ( )
1 vote Michael.Rimmer | Jul 11, 2018 |
The Doubtful Guest is a kid, isn't it. ( )
1 vote Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
Just so you-all know, not everyone is a Gorey fan. I'm not. I found this at a charity sale and decided to give him another shot, but I'm not amused. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
For Alison Bishop
When they answered the bell on that wild night, there was no one expected -- and no one in sight.

Legacy Library: Edward Gorey

Edward Gorey has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edward Gorey's legacy profile.

See Edward Gorey's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,822,828 books! | Top bar: Always visible