Die Belgariad-Saga 05. Duell der Zauberer by…

Die Belgariad-Saga 05. Duell der Zauberer (edition 1993)

by David Eddings (Author)

The quest was over. The Orb of Aldur was restored. And once again, with the crowning of Garion, there was a descendant of Riva Iron-grip to rule as Overlord of the West. But the Prophecy was unfulfilled. In the east, the evil God Torak was about to awaken and seek dominion. Somehow, Garion had to face the God, to kill or be killed. On the outcome of that dread duel rested the destiny of the world. Now, accompanied by his grandfather, the ancient sorcerer Belgarath, Garion headed toward the City of Endless Night, where Torak awaited him. To the south, his fiancee, the princess Ce'Nedra, led the armies of the West in a desperate effort to divert the forces of Torak's followers from the man she loved. The Prophecy drove Garion on. But it gave no answer to the question that haunted him: How does a man kill an immortal God? Here is the brilliant conclusion to the epic of The Belgariad.… (more)
Member:juemka
Title:Die Belgariad-Saga 05. Duell der Zauberer
Authors:David Eddings (Author)
Info:Bastei-Lübbe (1993), Edition: 7., Aufl., 416 pages

Work Information

Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings

English (52)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (58)
This was the fifth and final book in the Belgariad, a classic epic fantasy style series by David Eddings.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the whole series although I've read other epic fantasy I've enjoyed more. This one is light and straight forward. There aren’t any real shades of gray; one knows exactly who the good guys and bad guys are. Most things are clearly foreshadowed in advance. It’s one of those series where everything that happens is driven by prophecy, so there’s also a sense of events being inevitable and not really under anybody’s control. I don’t care for that kind of more heavy-handed prophecy approach, so that’s one aspect of the series I didn’t care for. I also prefer more twists and turns and much less spoon feeding, but it was an undemanding read and that can be nice sometimes.

I liked the characters, although I had some complaints, and the banter between them was probably my favorite part. It’s not a lot of non-stop witty banter, so if somebody goes into the series expecting a lot of that they might be disappointed, but there was enough of it for me to enjoy. I smiled several times, and laughed out loud a few times. I especially enjoyed Silk and Belgarath. I was not, on the other hand, very fond of the female characters. The two main female characters at least were not dishrags, and they did play significant roles in the events, but I didn’t like their personalities. They were both temperamental and bossy and often behaved in ways I considered irrational. Ce’Nedra, while only a teenager, still came across as more immature than I thought her age and circumstances justified. Every once in a while she’d do something mature, but she never seemed to learn any lessons of a permanent nature. And I was not amused at the way Polgara went off the deep end when Garion left to fulfill the prophecy she knew he had to fulfill. Speaking of prophecy, it was kind of silly how upset everybody was when Durnik died since we'd been told from book 1 that he would die twice, implying he would live again after the first death. In fact, considering how determined everybody was to make sure the prophecy was followed, I didn't understand why that in itself wasn't enough to motivate the gods to help Garion bring him back.

This final book wrapped everything up well, with a nice, long epilogue that briefly revisits most of the characters to give readers an idea of what was next for them in their lives. The book was a little slow for me, though. There were parts I enjoyed a lot, but I felt like things were dragged out more than necessary. Maybe I was just getting ready to move on. I know there are more books set in this world, but my intent was to just read this five-book series by itself. I’ve heard the next series is very similar to this one and I think that would get tedious. I’d rather stop here, mostly satisfied. I’m giving this last book 3.5 stars due to the draggy parts, but rounding up to 4 for Goodreads due to my overall enjoyment of the series and the satisfactory wrap-up. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Nov 6, 2021 |
Many people think David Eddings is overly formulaic which he is a bit but since I enjoy the tale he tells I do not mind reading it over again. His characters always have great humor at their core and you cannot beat a good epic tale for entertainment value. This particular book is a great end to a great series. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
It is in fact an ending. Sets the stage for more at the very end, but you can consider it wrapped here. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
Meh. Ce'Nedra throws some fits, does some stupid stuff. Garion does some stupid stuff, pretends he doesn't realize what being Overlord of the West means. The bad people die, the good people get married, Ce'Nedra bosses Garion around for the rest of their lives. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I never "believed" in the love relationship between Belgarion and Tsenedra and do so even less after reading this book. Garion was never believable as the King--too young, too inexperienced. It never made sense to me that two powerful sorcerors such as Belgarath and Polgara never seemed to make more than an offhand attempt at teaching him, much less give him chances to grow up. He would have been much more believable had he undergone some rigorous initiation for a few years and grown into a man with knowledge of himself and his powers. Here, he seems more like a puppy expected to perform as a guard dog. I kept thinking something would happen to transform him and that he would fall in love with Tsenedra (also too young IMHO), but I was left with the feeling that they were just left to their fates and I can't imagine their really being happy.

Oh, thank goodness the good side of the prophesy came about, sloppy though it was. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And finally,
for Leigh, my beloved wife,
whose hand and thought have touched every page,
and who has joined me in this making - even as she joins me in all that I do.
Being an account of beginnings - and endings.
- excerpts from The Book of Torak*

Hear me, ye Angaraks, for I am Torak, Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

*Editor's note: This version, said to be from the dread Book of Torak, is one of several circulated among the Nadraks. Since only the high Grolims were permitted official copies of the work, it is impossible to establish that this version is authentic, though internal evidence suggests that much of it may be. A true copy of the complete Book of Torak is believed to be in the library of King Anheg of Cherek, but this was not available for comparison.
There was, Garion decided, something definitely mournful about the sound of mule bells.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,605,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible