Enchanters' End Game (Belgariad) by David…

Enchanters' End Game (Belgariad) (edition 2000)

by David Eddings

The quest was over. The Orb of Aldur was restored. And once again, with the crowning of Garion, there was a descendant of Riva Iron-grip to rule as Overlord of the West. But the Prophecy was unfulfilled. In the east, the evil God Torak was about to awaken and seek dominion. Somehow, Garion had to face the God, to kill or be killed. On the outcome of that dread duel rested the destiny of the world. Now, accompanied by his grandfather, the ancient sorcerer Belgarath, Garion headed toward the City of Endless Night, where Torak awaited him. To the south, his fiancee, the princess Ce'Nedra, led the armies of the West in a desperate effort to divert the forces of Torak's followers from the man she loved. The Prophecy drove Garion on. But it gave no answer to the question that haunted him: How does a man kill an immortal God? Here is the brilliant conclusion to the epic of The Belgariad.… (more)
Member:MaWhit
Title:Enchanters' End Game (Belgariad)
Authors:David Eddings
Info:Corgi Adult (2000), Paperback, 444 pages

Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings

English (50)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
It is in fact an ending. Sets the stage for more at the very end, but you can consider it wrapped here. ( )
  jercox | Jun 2, 2021 |
Meh. Ce'Nedra throws some fits, does some stupid stuff. Garion does some stupid stuff, pretends he doesn't realize what being Overlord of the West means. The bad people die, the good people get married, Ce'Nedra bosses Garion around for the rest of their lives. ( )
  resoundingjoy | Jan 1, 2021 |
I never "believed" in the love relationship between Belgarion and Tsenedra and do so even less after reading this book. Garion was never believable as the King--too young, too inexperienced. It never made sense to me that two powerful sorcerors such as Belgarath and Polgara never seemed to make more than an offhand attempt at teaching him, much less give him chances to grow up. He would have been much more believable had he undergone some rigorous initiation for a few years and grown into a man with knowledge of himself and his powers. Here, he seems more like a puppy expected to perform as a guard dog. I kept thinking something would happen to transform him and that he would fall in love with Tsenedra (also too young IMHO), but I was left with the feeling that they were just left to their fates and I can't imagine their really being happy.

Oh, thank goodness the good side of the prophesy came about, sloppy though it was. ( )
  Angel.Tatum.Craddock | Dec 17, 2020 |
Listened to audio narrated by Cameron Beierle.

The final chapter in the Belgariad series, with big battles, wizard battles and the final confrontation between Garion and the evil god Torak. There is loss and hints that only one part of the prophecy has been fulfilled and that there more to come.

I'm not sure if it was the narration or just the book itself but it just sort of seemed to amble along. Then there were the battles being fought in different areas which seemed to revive the story a little until the main characters are swept away for the final confrontation. In the previous book it seemed Ce'Nedra and Garion had matured and were growing but it seemed they slid back into younger behavior in this book, to the point where I wondered how is Garion going to defeat Torak and how can these two possible claim to love each other, there was no real connection at all in this book between them. It often came across as siblings squabbling.

I remembered loving this book when I read this in school but re-reading this now, I struggled with pacing, with characterizations and believability. While younger readers may enjoy this series, I'm not sure more mature readers will appreciate it the same way.

For more of my reviews follow my blog at https://wyldheartreads.wordpress.com/
  wyldheartreads | Dec 14, 2020 |
A nice conclusion to a fun series. The author(s) took the step of twitting the mighty sorceress over equality in a funny and harmless way. These are fun books, particularly for a younger reader. ( )
  Whiskey3pa | Sep 20, 2020 |

Spångberg, YlvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And finally,
for Leigh, my beloved wife,
whose hand and thought have touched every page,
and who has joined me in this making - even as she joins me in all that I do.
Being an account of beginnings - and endings.
- excerpts from The Book of Torak*

Hear me, ye Angaraks, for I am Torak, Lord of Lords and King of Kings.

*Editor's note: This version, said to be from the dread Book of Torak, is one of several circulated among the Nadraks. Since only the high Grolims were permitted official copies of the work, it is impossible to establish that this version is authentic, though internal evidence suggests that much of it may be. A true copy of the complete Book of Torak is believed to be in the library of King Anheg of Cherek, but this was not available for comparison.
There was, Garion decided, something definitely mournful about the sound of mule bells.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,295,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible